Needle Valve Issues!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Needle Valve Issues!!

I have been having a problem with my needle valve not restricting the flow enough on my DIY Paintball CO2 setup. I have almost gassed my fish multiple times and I can not get the flow to about 1 bubble per second. Yesterday I came home to my tank have empty because my valve didnt hold and water erupted out

I used the instructions in the "Paintball C02 Injections DIY Setup with Tons of Photos" and used a typical needle valve from HD/Lowes. I could not open my On/Off all the way because the flow would be overwhelming. Did I not tighten the needle valve enough? Could it be a defective valve? Are these generally not very good valves? Can anyone suggest a new better valve?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
the Watts needle valve is VERY sensitive, I would turn it all the way off, and very slowly turn it on, it will only move about 1/64" or so to get the bubbles to come, it is very hard to only move it that much. But it is a very small movement that needs to happen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
You need to get a proper CO2 setup if you want good control. Even the best needle valves mentioned on this forum will do little good when trying to use them on a working pressure of ~800 psi. Otherwise, you are really going to have to keep an eye on your setup and make adjustments because you will never be dealing with a consistent input pressure and as a result, your CO2 output will fluctuate. I had the setup you are running for 3 weeks before I got sick of making adjustments and bit the bullet and bought a regulator.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Dear Palmed,

I am so sorry to hear about your valve exploding . I agree with slavecorps(awesome name by the way).

Hope you have no bubbles anymore
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
You need to get a proper CO2 setup if you want good control. Even the best needle valves mentioned on this forum will do little good when trying to use them on a working pressure of ~800 psi. Otherwise, you are really going to have to keep an eye on your setup and make adjustments because you will never be dealing with a consistent input pressure and as a result, your CO2 output will fluctuate. I had the setup you are running for 3 weeks before I got sick of making adjustments and bit the bullet and bought a regulator.
Not completely true, high pressure low flow metering valves work quite well as long as your room temperature doesn't fluctuate an ungodly amount. I get a pretty constant 1 bubble/3 seconds using one on a paintball setup. New these needle valves are about the same cost as an inexpensive regulator though so unless you can find a cheap one used probably not the way to go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The temp in my room does fluctuate a lot! I bet this is what caused it to "explode" and bubble over. Once I move out of my house and into a new one then the temp should be more constant.

Should I be able to complete close the Watts needle valve? I feel like it cant completely close?

Does anyone have any experience with the connectors from paintball tanks to cga320? Do these work? I can find a used regulator for pretty cheap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I had the exact same setup you currently have with the watts needle valve and asa adapter. The valve was very hard to open and close with all that pressure behind it. I would keep an eye on the swap n' shop for used regulators. Beverage factory sells inexpensive regulators, but try to get a two stage regulator if you can. You should do some serious reading about different regulators in the forums before you buy, you will save yourself big money with the right knowledge.

Jorge- You may be able to find some needle valves that will work for the application, but like you said, they are pricey and may cost as much as a regulator. Also for the best control of your bubble rate, you can not depend on a needle valve only. The gas pressure in the tank is decreasing slowly every second the valve is open when at a stable temp. A needle valve is not designed to deliver a constant output pressure as pressure in the bottle decreases. They are only designed to meter the flow of the gas. And why work with 800 psi when you could work with 10-30 psi? Gas flow is easier to control at lower pressures.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I figured out what my issue was. I didnt turn on the valve all the way before turning the co2 on so I couldnt properly regulate the flow. Ill try again. It not I may be going to regulator route.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode