DIY Paintball Co2 Tank Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Paintball Co2 Tank Question

I bought the setup with the ASA Valve and the needle valve from Jaggedfury. But I have a couple of questions regarding the tubing and the tank itself.

First, the Co2 tank seems to possibly have an issue, but I wanted to ask first to see if anyone knows what I am talking about. On the side of the tank by the brass fitting on the top is a safety valve. When I got it filled yesterday I brought it home and took it out of the box and it was hissing. It turns out the hissing was coming from this area. It has a label that states "Do Not Tamper With Safety". It seems as if this safety was turned and is letting the Co2 out. Does anyone know if you can turn this safety to close it without any issues?

My second question is regarding the tubing coming out of the needle valve. I put the nut on the tubing then put on the compression sleeve that comes with the needle valve from Jaggedfury, but it shot the tubing off when I opened the Co2. It doesn't seem to hold the tubing in very well. Is there another piece that I need to buy to get the tube to hold in better?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out. Yes, I am a newb with Co2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Perhaps some pictures would help. But was the tank used? I wouldn't deal with anything that could possibly explode, especially near my wonderful GLASS tank LOL. But as far as the tubing goes, do you mean that the sleeve doesn't fit snugly around your tubing? This is a problem, but can be fixed in two ways: One - get a right sized tubing, or Two - use teflon tape to wrap around the tubing to increase the diameter until it fits snugly. Then do a leak test. It worked for me until I got a better sized one. Also, the nut that you put on afterwards, yeah, tighten that with a wrench or pliers. But as far as the tank goes, I would bring it back to the store where you bought it, and have them replace it. Better safe than sorry. Good luck! Oh, and PM me if you have any more questions, as I have a Jaggedfury Paintball setup on my Fluval Ebi. It's all still fresh in my mind

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sounds like burst disk. Aka the safety that keeps the tank from blowing up. If you had it in some hot temps or strong sunlight in the car that might have increased the pressure enough to set it off. Co2 is not stable at high temps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hey JMZJMZ,

Not sure about question #1, never experienced anything with brand new 20oz CO2 tanks, but for question #2, you are absolutely correct! Silicone tube can not be sealed with that type of fittings! It looks like that needle valve is for cupper line.

To fix that problem use this:
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=6535
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
It sounds like the burst disc (aka safety valve) was installed incorrectly and is leaking. If the disc had burst due to excessive pressure there would be a sudden release of all the co2 in the tank.

I myself would be comfortable tightening the disc, but I have replaced them before myself and am willing to take the chance. If you do it wrong at best the tank will leak and at worse I guess the safety wouldn't work at all and if there was a problem the tank would explode.

If your not comfortable doing it yourself go back to a paintball shop and ask them to check it out for you. If it is the disc it shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to replace and they should be willing to do it for you for free (especially if you buy the replacement disc from them)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode