1Likes
  • 2 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to make 4dKH?

Hi guys,
So I bought 2l of distilled water and some bicarbonate of soda. I want to make some 4dKH solution for my DIY drop checker but I lost the measurements to make it.
How much bicarbonate should I add to make 2 litres of 4dKH? And what is the exact process?
Cheers,
JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I just added a little to some water and tested. My goal was to make 16 dKH and then dilute it. I think that made it easier to test with less margin for error with my test kit which is one drop equals 1 dKH.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here you go:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ndard-how.html

Found using search in < 1 minute.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys.
Darkblade that is the thread I read, but I just couldn't find it when I searched.
Cheers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you rely on your KH test kit, be sure to get an up to date one, not one with lots of shelf time on it. I like the idea of making much higher KH water first, then diluting it later to get to 4 dKH. When only 4 drops indicates 4 dKH, the error, even with a perfect test kit, is +/- .5 dkH, or about +/-12%. But if you make 16 dKH water, the error is down to +/- 3%. And, by testing a double size sample of water, you can reduce that down to less than +/-2%. But, you have to start with a KH test kit you can reasonably expect to be accurate. (I really doubt that any hobbyist test kit is accurate to better than +/- 10-20%, but calibrating a KH kit is very difficult.)

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So say instead of testing 5ml I test 20, that should give me a more accurate reading right?
Also how much of the 4dKH should I use in my drop checker? Does the amount matter?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

They way I did it was to empty the tank out of my dehumidifier (free distilled water!) into a glass jar (about a liter) then I added a tiny pinch of baking soda and tested the water. Then I used a large syringe to add/subtract water until the test kit gave the correct reading.

Not the most accurate from what you will find on other threads but took about 30 minutes to do. 1 liter will last you a long time - my drop checker uses only 1ml of water and they last several weeks so you wont need much.

I also test the water prior to using it in the drop checker - I have found it had changed slightly (which could be down to the accuracy of my aging test kit).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/93%)
i happen to have 4kdh standard solution I can use that? How do I use it in my drop checker? According to my Chinese drop checker instructions I use 5ml Solution (in my case 4kdh) and 15 ml of tank water.

Am I correct?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwy0608 View Post
i happen to have 4kdh standard solution I can use that? How do I use it in my drop checker? According to my Chinese drop checker instructions I use 5ml Solution (in my case 4kdh) and 15 ml of tank water.

Am I correct?
If you have 4 dkH reference solution, just use that directly. You do not need want to mix it with aquarium water.

Fill your drop checker about half full with 4 dkH reference solution, and then add a few drops of bromothymol blue so that the colour is easy to see, but not completely opaque.

Upon addition of bromothymol blue to your 4 dkH reference solution, it should turn blue. If it does not, then your 4 dkH reference solution is likely bad/improperly made, and you should make/purchase some new solution.
king kong and king kong like this.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode