DIY c02 Paintball Hose - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY c02 Paintball Hose

I am setting up a Paintball co2 system. I got some vinyl tubing for the co2 to run through from the needle valve. Will this work? Do they actually sell "co2 tubing"?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yes, it will work fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I tried to hook it all up together to my needle valve and it did not fit. I slide the long piece into the tubing but it made it too thick to put through the nut to attach. Are there different thicknesses of tubing? Did I not get the right tubing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00093-20110410-1354.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	29619  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Did you bring the piece with you to the hardware store? Lowes sells many different size tubes that you can buy off a roll, cut to size.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
i had the same problem the co2 tubing is too thick, just use regular fish tank air line
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ive been told that regular fish tank air line wont hold the co2 and it will eventually leak through. Is this true?

I did bring the the needle valve with me and that is what he gave me. Do they sell varying thicknesses of the vinyl tubing?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

yes, normal airline tubing lets much of your co2 escape through the tubing. basically you will just have to fill your tank more often.

Try heating the tubing up (not melting it lol) and just man-handle it on there, at least thats i would try.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried that. I heated it up to get the pin on about half way. Thats the most I could get it on. Do they sell varying thicknesses of tubing?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmed View Post
Ive been told that regular fish tank air line wont hold the co2 and it will eventually leak through. Is this true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erotica Aquatica View Post
yes, normal airline tubing lets much of your co2 escape through the tubing. basically you will just have to fill your tank more often.
No, this is incorrect. Regular airline tubing as well as silicone airline tubing is fine for CO2 uses.

You can spend more on CO2 resistant tubing if you want, but it is not necessary.

There are some permeability tables that are out there that will show you that silicone is many times more permeable to CO2 than other types of material, but the order of magnitude is something like 10^-5...

Quote:
I did bring the the needle valve with me and that is what he gave me. Do they sell varying thicknesses of the vinyl tubing?
Quote:
I tried that. I heated it up to get the pin on about half way. Thats the most I could get it on. Do they sell varying thicknesses of tubing?
Yes, stores will have tubing with varying wall thicknesses, etc.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Getting that piece to slide in and the bolt over the top is QUITE difficult. Kindof like a puzzle. I know I had a tough time with it with that hosing, but its do-able. Promise

Try slipping it through as far as you can, and grabbing some pliers and clamping down on on the back of the nipple part and the back of the threaded part. Once you get the threading to touch, you can wrench it down to get it seated completely.

Definitely the trickiest part of the setup.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

fish tank hose is fine, how much co2 do your really think you would loose over a 6 foot or so section of tubing running like 2bps anyway?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think at least part of the reason that regular vinyl tubing isn't recommended (beyond the fact that there is a slight loss of CO2 as darkblade mentioned) is that it becomes more brittle over time than silicone or other CO2 resistant materials... But some may disagree.

+1 on heating it up to slip the inside fitting in. (make sure that the nut is on the tube first) then hold the nut in a vice and place a small philips head inside the inner fitting. Then, gently tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer until it fits in snugly. I have made these setups a few time myself and it is always a PITA getting that joint right.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

i even lubed the co2 line up with KY when i tried and it wouldn't work LOL in the end i put normal air hose and its working fine....if it gets brittle ill just change it its only a 5 foot section anyway

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode