My "here's a DIY CO2 setup" video... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
My "here's a DIY CO2 setup" video...

So, i got bored and made a video for a quick intro to CO2 DIY-ness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfW6gDNf3is

Point people curious about DIY CO2 to it, and then stand back as they end up with more questions than before! YAY!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I loved the video, it made me smile AND taught me something! I do have a question though: do you have to replace the yeast/sugar/soda mixture? How often?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
I loved the video, it made me smile AND taught me something! I do have a question though: do you have to replace the yeast/sugar/soda mixture? How often?

A jug will last about 2 to 3 weeks. Some folks will use jello instead of water, or will use champagne/brewer's yeast to get a longer lifespan out of the bottles - I've done both and its not really a game-changer for me. Although the jello was fun, in a science-fair sorta way.

If you want to be really kinky, you can stagger two sets of jugs, to even out co2 production.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Im using your video as a model for mine! Ill post some pics soon.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used a fine bubble air stone for my diffuser. Thanks for the vid!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
I used a fine bubble air stone for my diffuser.

I used a limewood airstone and then a normal airstone at first, but found that the pressure required to drive them was higher than the functional pressure of the silicone glue.. so, overnight, the seals at the bottlecap to tube blew.

So I just made a vortex-y reactor, and let the big old bubbles get pureed.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

So if you use a airstone it will blow?
Also what do you do with your CO2 at night? Turn it off?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
So if you use a airstone it will blow?
Also what do you do with your CO2 at night? Turn it off?
Depends on the airstone. a porous one wont put up too much resistance. a superfine one may need more driving PSI than the silicone can handle.

if it fails, it's just going to blow where you glued it, unless you used some kind of maniac-strength glue.

I have mine just barely cracked in overnight. i try and strike a balance between limiting co2 in the water (since it's a waste w/o photosynthesis) and keeping the rig from failing a seal.

I'll post a video of the reactor i made showing seriously teensy bubbles once it's done uploading to youtube for you.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for all the help! Ill probably just pull the air stone out at night for now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I highly reccomend a reactor for this application. It will be hard to make a worthwhile rise in co2 dissolution with just an airstone.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

How do you create one?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh, there's a lot of approaches. Search youtube for some good ones.

The core idea is to keep the co2 contact with the water untill its fully dissolved. The smaller the bubbles, the more of an overall amount of water and gas are in contact. One of the two; the water or the bubbles, needs to be travelling, or an isobaric gas exchange occurs (meaning that the gas never dissolves all the way)

You can make a reactor that traps the bubbles, and makes the water flow by, as in the case with inline reactors filled with 'craggy' stuff like bioballs.
Or
You can make a reactor that traps, so to speak, the water, and the bubbles are in motion. This what you see with bubble ladders or catch-vessels connected to the output of a powerhead or canister filter.

Look at some of the options, and try and make your own... it's a liot of fun, and you might even come up with an approach that noone has thought of!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDKbmxiQNg

the tube is from the hardware store, and is a protector tube for flourescent lights. i have another four feet left over from the project, and the thing was cheap as hell. 6 dollars.

if you have a gavel vacuum thingy laying around you can hack that into one, too.

The lid is just a small square of plexi. 4 dollars.

I run a hard line down the center of it so that the outlet of the co2 supply is not in the actual field of bubbles.. if the co2 system fails, it wont let the gas in the reactor blow back through the rig this way. Down side is, that is you put too much gas in the reactor, you have to disconnect it to vent it.

so, I cut an oval hole in the side of the tube to mate with the outlet of my canister filter on a bias, to get the water spinning.. and KERPOW! reactor.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

And for Pete's sake be CAREFUL with co2. you can kill all those pretty shrimp if you over blow gas into the water.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh trust me i wont over do it all! Ill barely have it at one bubble every two seconds.
Im creating my reactor right now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode