DIY fish food - messy to make, but the fish go CRAZY..Check it out - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Question DIY fish food - messy to make, but the fish go CRAZY..Check it out

Hey everyone,

So I just thought I'd share this. I've recently been seeing a lot of non-fish related ingredients in the foods that are available other than live or frozen.

I decided I would try and make some of my own food, for the heck of it! Considering I didn't have ANY of the ingredients I was able to spend only 14$ on all organic ingredients, including the fish/shrimp.

What I used:
1/2 lb salmon fillet (~2.50$)
1/2 lb shrimp 30-40count per lb (2.50$)
1 medium-ish brocolli crown, frozen (explain why I froze it later)
2 medium sized carrots
4-5 multivitamins (generic brand, ground up to powder)
4 packets Knox unflavored gelatin (4 packets per box)
1 medium clove of garlic

Small handful of each of the following (Maybe 2 tblspns):
flake food (Tetramin)
freeze dried blood worms
freeze dried baby shrimp

Process:
1. Freeze the brocolli (can use frozen broccoli florets, maybe 10 medium florets)
2.Use a food processor to 'puree' carrots and brocolli, separately. Put those in freezer. (Freezing ahead of time makes getting small chunks much easier)
3. Take out salmon and shrimp and rinse well.
4. I pureed salmon and shrimp this time but in the future I will probably chunk the salmon into 1/4" cubes, freeze them. Then put them in the food processor to very finely minced pieces. Shrimp can be pureed, they are the 'binder' and protein.
5. Combine the carrots, brocolli, and garlic in the blender or processor and add 1/2 cup of water. It should be relatively runny and completely pureed.
6. On the 'mix' setting of your blender/processor add in salmon and shrimp respectively. Don't over mix it, you'll just make the salmon pureed, which is what you want to avoid.
7. After this is the consistency of a milkshake, if it's too thick, add a little water; 1/4 cup respectively.
8. Add the Multivitamin powder. (Spurinila can be added as well)
9. Make gelatin mix. 1/2 cup cold water to 2.5 cups boiling water. Other than those 2 changes follow directions on packet (step 2 I believe)
10. Take a large baking pan (I used 13X9X2) and empty the gelatin mix into the pan. Let gelatin cool in fridge for 10-15 minutes, then add the 'food mix' into it thoroughly. It should be relatively liquidy.
11. Return to fridge and let set for a few hours.
12. Once it's set, it should have a jello consistency. (If it's still squishy you may want to stick it in the freezer for about 30 minutes; I had to do this because I only added half of the gelatin mixture thinking it was enough. I was wrong)
13. Cube the mixture, set it on a tray with aluminum foil and freeze.

I made really small cubes, maybe 1/4" cubes. It's plenty for the fish in my 20G (14 bloodfins). They go nuts for it. Congos are also going nuts once they smell it. I'll probably make another batch soon, making sure there's enough gelatin to hold the mixture completely together.

I also made a small bit without gelatin, and just added more water. It was a somewhat melting milkshake consistency and put it into small bags and flattened them. Similar to Hikari's bloodworm bags.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST USING A FEEDING CONE. THIS CAN BE MESSSY.

I'm bringing some of this mixture to my next fish meeting to see if people like it. I will have nearly 500 cubes of the food.

Let me know if you try it. And please comment on what you think of my little 'DIY'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful post fishykid, and it's wonderful to see someone else using organic ingredients! I am going to see if I can try this! What could you substitute for shrimp?

Why did you use garlic?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

garlic has anti-bacterial properties.

This is another variation of the european shrimp recipe.

I would add either spirulina powder or astaxanthin in the mix...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
Beautiful post fishykid, and it's wonderful to see someone else using organic ingredients! I am going to see if I can try this! What could you substitute for shrimp?

Why did you use garlic?
You can substitute using a gelatin mixture instead of shrimp, but shrimp have extremely good proteins and have almmost barely any fat. You would make the gelatin after the rest and add it into the mixture once the gelatin mixture cools down a little so it doesn't cook the food. Then put it in the fridge and let it set up. ***If you do use gelatin use a little less cold and hot water to make up for the moisture in the food mix...***

As Jeto said about garlic, there's a chemical in it that aids fish to fight disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeto View Post
garlic has anti-bacterial properties.

This is another variation of the european shrimp recipe.

I would add either spirulina powder or astaxanthin in the mix...
I'm trying to find spirulina powder locally without spending 30$.

I'll be making another batch soon. But right now my fish love it and as soon as it hits the water it starts a feeding frenzy.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeto View Post

Thanks A TON! I forgot about Ken's having it. I'll order some eventually along with some other flake food so I have a nice supply

Thanks Jeto.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
This looks pretty good, but I don't understand why you are adding tetramin flake. If you are trying to produce a high quality food I suggest using a premium flake food like omega one.

slowly but surly

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_mcnasty View Post
This looks pretty good, but I don't understand why you are adding tetramin flake. If you are trying to produce a high quality food I suggest using a premium flake food like omega one.

Unfortunately I didn't have any omega one at the time, so I added a small amount of the flakes. I'll probably skip out on that completely next time.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

This is one DIY that you can count me out. Esp. caring if it organic or not. :P

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen View Post
This is one DIY that you can count me out. Esp. caring if it organic or not. :P
Why do you say that? There's no fillers or artificial ingredients other than a multivitamin, which would be exchanged for spurilina powder

I agree that it's certainly not for everyone, but I wanted to experiment mostly and just see. I'll try and take a short video of them feeding, both bloodfins and the congos/danios in the morning. This thread had over 200 looks before a single person posted... :P

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
You can substitute using a gelatin mixture instead of shrimp, but shrimp have extremely good proteins and have almmost barely any fat. You would make the gelatin after the rest and add it into the mixture once the gelatin mixture cools down a little so it doesn't cook the food. Then put it in the fridge and let it set up. ***If you do use gelatin use a little less cold and hot water to make up for the moisture in the food mix...***
I've got reasons for avoiding shrimp... But I will try adding extra gelatin! Thank you! I need to start gathering the ingredients.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Nice recipe. There are a few of these on here.

I also believe that garlic helps induce eating in finicky fish. I believe a lot of discus owners use it to get them to eat certain foods, but i could be wrong there.

For those that want to push this recipe more toward the carnivore side, add beef heart and more shrimp (or even crab).

You can also add zucchini and other veggies. Limitless.

I never thought of multivitamin. Any specific brand that you used? Any brands to stay away from?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'd imagine the omega-3 & omega-6 would be a great addition to DIY foods. The farm raised fish & shrimp we eat and use to make fish food lack these fatty acids.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'd imagine the omega-3 & omega-6 would be a great addition to DIY foods. The farm raised fish & shrimp we eat and use to make fish food lack these fatty acids.

I used wild caught local shrimps. Nothing better than to live near the beach and have a huge shrimp industry out your way. But I'm sure this is a great addition. As someone else mentioned Spurilina powder as an addition adds a lot of nutrients, replacement of the multivitamin.

Quote:
Nice recipe. There are a few of these on here.

I also believe that garlic helps induce eating in finicky fish. I believe a lot of discus owners use it to get them to eat certain foods, but i could be wrong there.

For those that want to push this recipe more toward the carnivore side, add beef heart and more shrimp (or even crab).

You can also add zucchini and other veggies. Limitless.

I never thought of multivitamin. Any specific brand that you used? Any brands to stay away from?
It really is limitless. You can target feed any given fish with different types of food.

Maybe as a test, I'll soak some blood worms in a garlic and water mixture, and then soak some in just water. Feed on separate days at the same time, with the same amount and see which they are attracted to more. Then it'll be known.

As far as multivitamin, I used Harris Teeter brand. I used a couple in the WHOLE mixture, so I'm sure it's diluted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode