DAE use their DIY CO2 set-up to make cider or the like? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DAE use their DIY CO2 set-up to make cider or the like?

I'd been making the standard sugar / water / yeast swill for a little bit in my DIY CO2 system, but my roommate wanted to make some cider so he can drink (relatively) free. Its been going a week and smells kind of delicious, but I was wondering if anyone else did this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven't done that before but honestly I don't see why it shouldn't be done.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe some people use the CO2 that is produced from brewing homemade beer for the exact same purpose

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Won't be as simple as filling the bottle and waiting a week or two.

You would need to sanitize everything and keep it that way. Could be challenging with a hose that is directly connected to your fishtank.

You would probably want to use some yeast other than rapid rise bread yeast. That will increase the cost (a little bit). And you might need to add some yeast nutrient as well.

I doubt that it will be easy to get a fine brew out of your concoction. But it is possible.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
no but i've made hard cider before in a 1gallon glass jug. delicious

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

I thought along similar lines the other week and decided to take a swig of a culture. Put a little in a glass and went for it. Was one heck of a kick. Rest of the day was a pretty happy one though.

Perhaps just add a bit of flavoring and would be okay to drink I reckon.

Did not do me any harm! Although I eat a lot of hot curries (Englishmans fav food!) so my stomach would probably not notice a few glasses of yeast culture!

My culture was about 2-3 weeks old when I tried it. Was producing a bubble every 5-10 minutes or so (which is why I took it off the tank!).

Give it a try next time !

Learn by doing I say! If you get the trotts then you probably did something wrong heheh!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wasser: Good point, we poured boiling water into the jugs; but that may not have been sufficient sterilization. The yeast seems to have outcompeted most of the other microorganisms in the solution and is producing a hefty amount of CO2. We ended up using champagne yeast for ours, more expensive than bread yeast; but 17% ABV Tolerance!

Scape: I hope ours turns out similarly!

Disco: OOO, Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm stoked to try it out, we racked one of our bottles into a back fermentation bottle to carbonate it, but it smelled GREAT and smelled really strong.

I post how it was when we try it out! Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrg View Post
Wasser: Good point, we poured boiling water into the jugs; but that may not have been sufficient sterilization. The yeast seems to have outcompeted most of the other microorganisms in the solution and is producing a hefty amount of CO2. We ended up using champagne yeast for ours, more expensive than bread yeast; but 17% ABV Tolerance!
if you're just dumping that yeast into apple cider you're not going to get near that 17%. For yeast to create that much alcohol you're going to need to be feeding those guys a lot.

depending on the amount you're making i'd consider dumping honey in the batch or maybe boiling up some brown sugar to mix in. at that point though you may want to spice it w/ some cinnamon and other "christmas" flavors.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

I bought some "Red Star Primeir Cuvee" yeast (champagne yeast) that handles a much higher alcohol threshhold than regular baking or brewer's yeast. Might be a thought. I know very little about homebrews lol but this stuff works GREAT in a DIY CO2 bottle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

"PTF HOOCH"

More kick than the Karate Kid, more punch than Judy ...and makes your plants grow quicker.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode