DIY Co2 Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 Question

Hi guys noob here to planted tank, I've been ghosting around the site but just joined last night, Quick question, Do I need a bubble counter for when setting up my co2 setup? So far I have 2 2liter bottles, one for the reactor the other with water, ran to a check valve, now do i need a filter for the co2? I heard that some people run a inline filter? Also what I have as a diffuser I made it from the tubing with a cigg filter inline with it. I found the diy for the diffuser through planted tank and it was on youtube. So should this be it? I've over and over through different searches and everyone has their own different technique,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

#1) welcome to the forum! just one thing: this forum is addicting
#2) you do not need a bubble counter. here is my thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...n-diy-co2.html
#3) the second to last post has a link i posted of a dude that did use a bubble counter, just in case you wanted to use one
#4) could you post this link to youtube, or the thread it was in? so i could have a look at it?
#5) good luck on all of your DIY projects

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1) thanks for the welcome!
2) what is a bubble counter needed for? I know if it turns green your good but yellow is bad?
3) didn't see it. maybe I'm blind? :-P
4)yes it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFM9ZpaqGM actually it's the same link off your page!
5) Thanks! I'll need it lol, So whats your take on the cigg filter as a diffuser? I haven't set it up yet but....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Um, I believe you have a drop checker confused with a bubble counter. A bubble counter is used to measure BPS, or bubbles per second, whereas a drop checker checks the saturation of CO2 in your water. You don't really need either with a DIY CO2 yeast-based setup. But a bubble counter can be made by drilling 2 holes in a small water bottle, and putting tubing in each one. Fill it halfway with water, put one tube through the cap into the water and the other one out of the water and to the diffuser, and there you go! It serves as a gas-separation chamber to make sure there's no yeast crud in it. And you can see how much CO2 is going into your tank. But it's (almost) impossible to over-do it with DIY CO2. So good luck!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

#1) srry i wasn't specific, 2nd to last post on the first page
#2) a DIY bubble counter doesn't turn green (i don't know what u r talking about) but a bubble counter is made for 1) to maintain a constant flow of CO2 and 2) any sugar-yeast concoction will stay in the bubble counter instead of going into your tank.
#3) lol! same link= did u notice that guys squeaky voice? lol
#4) anywhoo, what is a cigg filter? if you mean that it goes through the impeller to get micro bubbles than i love it
here is a link if that is what you mean: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ob-filter.html
#5) good luck again!!
#6) oh and Geniusdudekiran (cool name) is correct.

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Meant cigarette filter lol, I'm using the filter as a diffuser as I seen on youtube. It's supposed to give very fine bubbles as what I'm hoping. and yeah his voice was a bit high, if you watched his second video it was a bit deeper lol. and geniusdudekiran thanks for the advice! Same to you kibblemania!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what is a cigarette filter? jw

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's the filter part at the end of the cigarette, looks like this
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the link isn't working. anywhoo, i will just look it up on youtube. brb

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm done with my diy co2, It works great. It only cost me 5 dollars to start it up! I had a bunch of the stuff already and i only had to buy the tubing. I used hot glue in this bit, a 2l pepsi bottle with 2 cups of sugar and 1tsp of yeast. then the tubing going from the 2l to a 16 ounce soda bottle filled with water then that to a check valve then into the tank with a cigarette filter as a diffuser and i am getting very fine bubbles. I'm getting about 1bps also. all in all I'm satisfied with this diy c02
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

? about my DIY Co2

So I finally gave a DIY Co2 system a try. I got the instructions off plantedtank forum (A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria). What I am running into, is if I move the in tank submersible filter I am using to bust up the big bubbles anymore than about 8" below the water surface, it stops shooting out the fine little bubbles. Should the the 2 liter bottle be positioned a certain way (below the water level, above the water level, etc.)? I am just afraid that the bubbles are not getting a chance to be dispersed, because I see them immediately rise to the surface. I am using it on a 55 gallon tank.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceofthetropic View Post
So I finally gave a DIY Co2 system a try. I got the instructions off plantedtank forum (A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria). What I am running into, is if I move the in tank submersible filter I am using to bust up the big bubbles anymore than about 8" below the water surface, it stops shooting out the fine little bubbles. Should the the 2 liter bottle be positioned a certain way (below the water level, above the water level, etc.)? I am just afraid that the bubbles are not getting a chance to be dispersed, because I see them immediately rise to the surface. I am using it on a 55 gallon tank.
Your post doesn't mention if you're using a check valve or not. If you're not, to be safe, you should have the bottle above water level. Otherwise, if your system decides to misbehave and backsiphon, you could be in lots of trouble.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Algae Grower

check valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldsoup View Post
Your post doesn't mention if you're using a check valve or not. If you're not, to be safe, you should have the bottle above water level. Otherwise, if your system decides to misbehave and backsiphon, you could be in lots of trouble.
I did have a check valve on the line going to the tank, but I took it out to see if that was the issue with not being able to put the in tank filter lower. I will put it back if I need to put the reactor lower than the water line.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode