plant weights - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plant weights

someone on a very popular auction site is selling plant weights that are simply bits of slate with a hole drilled through.The plant is just pushed through the hole and then buried in the substrate...Has anyone tried DIY ones?..Any other simple ways of weighing down your plant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I have tried the lead strips, not very good since they often squish the soft/fragile stems.

I have tried glass U's that were very common a long time ago. Works but over time I tend to loose them in my tanks.

Nowadays I stick plants into the substrate without any support. If they are very buoyant or keep slipping out I just push them in a bit deeper, possibly using a leaf or two to keep them anchored.

If you keep having trouble with plants floating up re-examine your fish (are they diggers? rough on plants?) and/or perhaps increase the depth of your substrate if it is very shallow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm having trouble keeping a section of hydrocotyle weighted down horizontally with rocks. I really don't wish to use lead. Thought about using a rubber band and a small piece of gravel but worried about damaging it through excessive constriction. Considered a paperclip but don't know if it's compatible with inverts. Zip ties are probably too big.

Any suggestions?

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
You can use twist ties or lead weights. Just cut them to the proper size and U shape them. Lead cuts easily with scissors.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've had some success using cotton gauze.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A substitute for lead is lead-free solder. It isn't as heavy as lead, but it works. I usually hammer it against the concrete floor into thin strips so they bend easier. But, 99% of the time I don't use any weights. I just shove the plants all the way to the bottom of the substrate, using tweezers. They rarely float out then.

Hoppy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I was about to mention the lead-free solder.

I use regular solder when I'm fishing in an area that's very rocky. I put a small split-shot on the line and wrap a 1-3" long coil of solder onto the fishing line above the split-shot. Doesn't snag up nearly so bad.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

at my lfs, they have so many of those weights in their plant section unused, i just stick my hand in and take a couple, they don't care (only because i go there every week)

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode