Building my first sump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question Building my first sump

Hello. I am going to build my first sump, but need some help. I don't really have a plan, so I don't know how to do it. I am making a 2.5 gallon sump, to go on a 10 gallon tank. Do I need a power head, or pump, or what? I have a filter thats casing got messed up, so I have the motor from it with the little wheel thing. Is their any way I can incorporate this into my sump? I don't really have the money for a powerhead, or pump right now. I have airpumps, if that helps. Any advice on making my 2.5 into a sump?
Thanks,
Rick

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you thinking of making a glass sump yourself? How familiar are you with silicone and glass?

* Purchase a small tank and add your own dividers
* You have the advantage of being able to pick your filter media (availability, price etc) and then custom making each box section to suit.
* Pond pumps are a popular choice for sumps

Something I have read a bit about - remember reading a fantastic step by step how to article in an old Practical Fishkeeping (UK) magazine. May have an online article version on their website.

In regards to your pump see if the head height of the pump is sufficient plus give yourself a little more. You may be able to attach a hose to the bottom of that pump - I doubt it would last long submerged! You could possibly waterproof it enough to run submerged but I would not risk it. The cost of replacing your house when it shorts and burns it down is more than a powerhead/pondpump.

Ensure you employ some form of anti-siphon technique - my choice would be a small hole drilled just below the waterline that will break the siphon to the intake. But remember this will lead to the pump running dry - unless a power cut is responsible.

Another tip: measure the standard sizes of things like filter wool sheets and make the compartments fit a popular size - this means you wont have to spend time cutting up sheets and potentially wasting bits each time you replace it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

Sumps dont seem to be cost effective for that small a tank. The plumbing alone could run you more than a sponge filter, and if you already have an air pump....

In any case sumps ar fun. Im still building out mine. Right now it just has a huge sponge filter, the heaters (make sure 2.5 gallons is big enough for your heater), and the return pump.

They sell electronic float valves you can use to cut power to the sump pump when the water drops. I plan to invest in these and highly recommend it. One for the tank and one for the sump.

Are you planning to drill the tank or are you going to use a weir for the overflow?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hello. Thanks for the replies. I have an pond pump we aren't using, I just hadn't thought of it lol I have never built anything with glass and silicone, so this is my first project. I am planning on drilling it so I can hide the sump. I have been looking for plans online, but they are for bigger tanks. I also have a 10 gallon I can make a sump, what do you guys think I should do? Also, what other equipment do I need? I already have the tubing, the tank, and am getting glass soon, and filter media, but do I need pvc or anything?
Thanks,
Rick

Rick
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of filtration do you want in the sump?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am thinking just a lot of filters. I like the glass idea, but I would like the filters, just because if I wanted to use them for something else, I could. I was going to put a sponge filter, hang on back, inside filter, and box filter (this is the 10 gallon tank). This is for a mini reef tank, so the more filtration, the better.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ilter-who.html

this is the best advice i could give you, i recently wrote this after a few people were asking the same questions as you. the tank i used for my sump is approx 16g so you just need to scale everything down to suit your own application. if your tank is drilled that is a bonus otherwise there are details in that link to build an overflow box.

with a sump that small you really need to think about preventing overflows, my sump holds 16g full but i only fill it to about 10g so that if the pump stops pumping and the main tank drains down to the overflow level it wont flood the sump. with only 2.5g of space you might be cutting it a bit fine.

good luck and make sure you post pics if you go ahead with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode