Fire extinguisher CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fire extinguisher CO2

Does anyone have any thoughts about using a fire extinguisher canister for a CO2 tank. I have access to lots of older (still chargeable just too expensive for tear down) extinguishers. Is there a proper way to clean them? What are they made out of? Will they hold CO2? I will be looking into this and keep the thread updated but would like any advise or information the other members may have.

-Jason-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Planted Member

If it is a rechargable CO2 extinguisher, and you find a place that will recharge them, you could make it work.
If the recharge station refuses, i.e. because the tank is past its certification period, you are SOL.
As in most DIY projects, the trade-off in frustration and time spent trying to make things work may not justify cost savings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I'd take them to a fire extinguisher shop and trade them in for a fresh, hydrostatically certified, co2 cylinder with the correct threading for a co2 regulator.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Fire extinguishers

Hi

People have used fire extinguishers even as dive cylinders! In the UK we used CO2 fire extinguisher bodies for these diving experiments, as they withstand the highest pressure (burst pressure something like 212 bar). So using them for CO2 storage is no problem (I guess written like this this sounds a bit obvious!). Ups, please forget all this immediately - I understand I might get sued in the US for stating these things - we don't want anybody to die with a fire extinguisher in their mouth drifting out a sea!

Harry
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

HEEYYY!!!..Come back with my fire extiguisher!!!
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

Funny enough I was talking to a guy just last week about this, he's a fire safety technician who comes in to test our stuff works.
I asked him the same (is it safe, fitting a reg) and he said that it's not a problem at all, they convert extinguishers all the time for use in welding as over here it is way too expensive to buy a tank so the only real option is to hire one and that can be a hassle or find a cheap alternative.
He said,
1: make sure it is a co2 one first (red with black band)
2: make sure it is empty, if need be empty it :-)
3: I will need to take it to a fire extinguisher place to refill it.

They remove the top handle, fit a standard gas fitting, test and cert the tank and fitting and will fill it up for me.
About a half hour job, drop off, go have a coffee, come back, pay, and I'm done.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I know a guy back in IL that uses them on his show tank, so it is possible.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I am getting a 5lb or a 10lb for the cost of the new top/valve. The tank will have a new hydro test and be certified for the next 5 years!!!. it will even be full of co2 when I pick it up.

What will I need to be able to begin using this on my tank? I need to know how to get the co2 from the tank to the show tank?

-Jason-
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You will require a regulator, a needle valve and some tubing, at the very least. You may also want a solenoid, and some method of diffusing the CO2 (i.e. an inline reactor, or perhaps a glass diffuser with a ceramic disc).

For more information regarding pressurized CO2, please take a look at the CO2 primer article that I wrote (it is linked in my signature).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you

-Jason-
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
same thing, i had one for years..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode