DIY Canister Filter Idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
DIY Canister Filter Idea

At my work they have 5 gallon buckets that sliced pickles come in. They have a lid with an o-ring and the lid clips in eight or so places. Full of water you can kick the bucket over and the lid stays on tight. Liquid tight.

I was thinking if I add a few bulkheads and some dividers and an external pump I have I have a 10 dollar FX5. I was thinking I could take four pieces of shallow strut (metal shaped like a U. Used for mounting EMT pipe in electrical) and some threaded rod and wing nuts to make 'clamps' that would act in a similar way as those on the fluval, tightening the light towards the bottom of the bucket.

I'm just not sure how much pressure the filter would produce. Do you guys think it would blow open? I figure with a good pump the lid would tend to be more sucked on even with the intake gravity fed rather than the water pushing out, since the water is continually evacuated. I even have a few liquid tight connectors I could use to mount a heater inside the bucket.

What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I use those buckets for brewing and I would put some sort of clamp on them before pressurizing them for sure. Otherwise I dont see why it wouldnt work with threaded PVC fittings and a few O-rings.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think I might make a prototype. I have nearly everything lying around but it seems 95% of the people who try this fail hard core.

I need a better idea for clamps. Something easier/more convenient. Maybe clamps made for woodworking would work.

Should the water enter the top and exit the bottom or visa versa?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
water should both enter and exit through the top. on the pump outlet just put a piece of tubing and go up to through the top of the canister and use silicone to seal it, maybe even something stronger. seen this work before hope you can get it up and going.

-Matt

110g High "The Commune"

The great 'rummey vs neon' debacle of O'11:

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
water should both enter and exit through the top. on the pump outlet just put a piece of tubing and go up to through the top of the canister and use silicone to seal it, maybe even something stronger. seen this work before hope you can get it up and going.
I was thinking that but my pump sits nicely on the floor. Is there an issue with coming in the top and out the side at the bottom, similar to a FX5? The water would flow straight down through the media.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
There really isn't that much pressure involved.
Most all canisters work on a siphon basis with low pressure impeller pumps. Head pressure (tank height) is what's dealt with by the seals not pump pressure.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Try it and you will see thats what I do.
Just make sure, on the lid where you put your connectors, make the plastic thicker by glueing or siliconing some more plastic (for stability) and use enough silicone!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Try it and you will see thats what I do.
Just make sure, on the lid where you put your connectors, make the plastic thicker by glueing or siliconing some more plastic (for stability) and use enough silicone!
I recommend the PVC that screws together with an O-ring for each end still tho. I would like to see you pull this off. It might be a cheap pond filter fix for me.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Got me to thinking again.

I have a glass gallon jar somewhere that has a steel lid. I could easily drill it, plumb it with PVC fittings, and design a flow-schematic inside to make it a perfect "quick peek" canister filter. It would sit behind my tank, level with it, so I could probably run it with a Maxijet 1200.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

hOW about a picture of the bucket and lids, the inside of the lid and the clamps.

bob
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

sounds like a souped up version of one of those DIY 5 gallon bucket wet/ dry filters to me.

BELIEVE IT!!!!!
new tank = new algae!

NIKON PIMP#43!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I say give it a shot, but long term test outside. A inside leak while your not home one day would not be cool. But if you like tinkering and playing with stuff whether you think it will work or not like I do, it will be fun just to try. Just don't waste too much money on it incase it fails. Goodluck!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Or just put it in a sterilite container, I do that with my "projects"

BELIEVE IT!!!!!
new tank = new algae!

NIKON PIMP#43!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Get 500gph internal pump and let it suck water and sent it up (input put on bottom of barrel). I have it like that and it works nice (well except barrel hasnt got good lid). 500gph pump can easily deform barell so maybe youll have to reinforce it inside
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
make sure you get a strong pump

any updates?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode