Boundary for runners - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Boundary for runners

I was just contemplating ways I could prevent my HG from invading my HC as my tank develops. The only thing I could think of would be one of those flimsy plastic cutting boards used in small strips, but I think even those have a little resistance when bent. Has anyone tried anything like this for separating plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
For those plants an Exacto knife will work better than a boundary. Boundaries are usually used for deep rooted plants that get out of control like Dwarf Sag and Giant hairgrass.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
you could use a lawn edgeing but it would have to prob go 1.5 inch above and below to work imo. it can be done with the right planning to look good by glueing the substrate to it to blend in i would use a epoxy like gorrila glue or something like that. ive seen plastic and metal edgeing so let us know how it works and take some pics to show the end result.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Plants that reproduce by sending out runners are well equipped to go over almost any barrier. Most would just climb up the one side of the barrier and down the other side. Of course you can then easily prune off the escaping runners

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yes its going to just be a deterant so minimal effort will be needed vs without it. as hoppy said an im sure u know if left unmaintained in time it will grow over it but with occasional trim it will stay confined to its area
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I tried doing something like that with strips of plastic cut from 2-liter soda bottles. I got the idea from a guy on another forum who was using the bottoms of 20 oz. soda bottles as pots in his aquarium. Since they're food packaging the plastic is safe and it doesn't stand out much in the water, until algae starts growing on it, anyway. (shrug)

I don't know how it would have worked in the long run, as I changed 'scaping tacks and pulled them out after only a few weeks, but they were quite easy to work with as far as putting them in where I wanted them -- quite flexible. I imagine a certain amount of experimenting would be needed to get the widths and such exactly where you wanted/needed them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ive been using some cut up ice cream buckets to make boarder strips on my DHG, works pretty good. your use of flexible cutting boards would work great. Yea the plants do sometimes throw a runner over it but not that often (the boarder goes from the bottom glass, and sticks out about an 1/8-1/4" above the substrate)if they do its easy to use the boarder as a guide to cleanly trim em.

they install pretty easy just wiggle into place

You can kind of make it out in the most recent pics of my 20g

my tank lights are out or id get better pics for you now, ill try to get some later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Plants that reproduce by sending out runners are well equipped to go over almost any barrier. Most would just climb up the one side of the barrier and down the other side. Of course you can then easily prune off the escaping runners
Hoppy is right, at least for rosette plants (i.e. "superficial runners").

I do think that barriers would work quite well for plants that send "subterraneous runners" such as Cryptocoryone crispatula 'flaccidifolia' is VERY prone to do in my experience (as are many other Crypts, Nymphaea, etc.). I actually stopped keeping that plant, even though I like how it looks, because it is so invasive. It's hard to pull plantlets without ripping out your whole tank!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Those are some great ideas! I did notice a little hairgrass poking out of my HC but I wasn't sure if that would mean doom for life if I didn't separate the two. I kind of like the look of a little intermingling, but for the most part I wanted the HG to stay out of the HC's way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode