DIY Barr's venturi design reactor build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Barr's venturi design reactor build

Did anyone every try to make this build? It should be the 'best'

So If I understand it correctly it's a Grigg style reactor. Like this one

With 3 holes drilled into it. One hole to add the co2 (as with any reactor). 2 extra holes, 1 in the top chamber and the other one 2" down from the top on the opposite side of where the co2 enters the reactor.

In the top vent you use a 3 inch rigid airline with a manual valve so it acts as a manual dump of the co2.

In one of the side holes I will connect a airline and connect it back into between my canister filter output and the reactor creating the venturi loop...? Or connect it on the inflow hoses of my eheim with something like this in between the hoses to connect the co2 tube on (see image enclosed)

(as I am planning to use this reactor on a canister filter) I wonder if it would also be more beneficial to use an atomizer on the outflow just before it enters the reactor. I already have this atomizers laying around. Or much better to enter the co2 in the reactor itself so it creates a bigger fighting effect between the co2 rising and the flow pushing down?

The idea about the venturi loop I think is to keep them 100% efficient and working properly. When the gas builds up it will be pulled back into your canister filter and comes later back in the reactor/ your tank.
Attached Images

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
the picture that tom posted with his article is confusing to many. that photo showed the 2 options for the venturi feedback loop, either from the top or from the side. there are only two holes you need to drill, one for the co2 input and the other to connect the venturi. his recommendation to have the venturi 3" down from the top is about right. i drilled mine about 2" down and it started to draw excess co2 after being on for a couple of hours. didn't notice any difference in terms of plant growth plus didn't like the pzzzft of the impeller breaking up that vented gas so i disconnected it.

i really don't know how you'd connect the venturi on a canister. he used a powerhead that recirculated the vented gas before (not after) the impeller to create mist. you could feed it into your canister intake, but injecting co2 into a canister has issues.

Last edited by moke; 12-17-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add 2nd paragraph

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode