DIY tank stand finish material - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What it gets down to is often what we each might like and how much we want to spend to get it.
For a really cheap cover for the stand frame, some like recycled cedar fencing. I think it's kind of the "Texas" thing but some do like it and it is easy to find for free on the local Craigslist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I do 2x4 frame with Baltic birch on the outside. But with current wood prices Iím not building anything lol
Quagulator likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wood is definitely gone way up.
I rarely ever use 2x4 for my racks. 2 x 3 is cheaper and will work fine. Only rack I have that is 2x4 is simply because the span is 8'.

If you do build the structure out of 2x material what about using pallet wood as a skin?

3/4" plywood with correct joinery will take the weight of a tank with no problem. No need for 2x material at all. Key is correct joinery and the right glue. I use screws sparingly and only when I can't wait for glue-ups to dry in clamps. If I do have to use screws I try to use pocket holes.
If you have doubts about the plywood holding up then use 1x4 to build a skeleton and glue it into the plywood stand.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2020, 04:58 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just built a stand for my 55 gallon and 40 gallon tanks to sit side by side, I used cinder blocks painted white, and wood boards stained dark brown.
Cost about $80 from home depot (wood is expensive due to covid) it worked really well, and will be a cheaper solution for you since you only need it for a 55
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16080083074801110672425486897316_1608008316678.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	905979  

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 08:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm a big fan of 2x4 frame for structural support, and skin it with 1/4" plywood for cosmetic (& some structural support).

I wouldn't go thicker on the plywood (if already overbuilding with 2x4's), it will just add to the weight and cost.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I covered my 2x4 stand with three pieces of 3/16 in plywood. I glued heavy duty magnets from Home Depot to the ply, and countersunk a magnet on the 2x4 frame so the whole piece of plywood comes right off, and jumps right into place when you put it in position. I trimmed the front panel with 90degree outside corner trim to cover the corners, and painted the whole thing. I had a piece of mahogany trim that I mitered oversize to fit the top of the frame, so there is a 'bumper' that is larger than the tank, like a chair rail, and the tank sits on that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode