A simple High OutPut DIY led strip light hood conversion. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BOTIA
  • 1 Post By BOTIA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A simple High OutPut DIY led strip light hood conversion.

Hi so if you are not familiar with these tanks, they come from Asia/australia region and have some nice features.
Bent glass corners,15x15Hx9deep, a completely silent and invisible overhead trickle filter and a light hood design which does not blind you when you open it for feeding.
I had already modded the overhead filter so the out flow drips directly down instead of a stream towards the front glass which shrimp hated. Also added a sponge on the intake for the shrimp.

These tanks originally ran on magnetic ballast and a 11w g23 full spec lamp. VERy HOT with little venting , the one big flaw in these tanks. besides weak light
I ripped all that out for this mod ( had already been using a 6 w led g23 bulb in there previously.

The hood cooling slots only have the two at each end that actually were holes. The one in between were filled in(so dumb) I drilled out all the slots on my drill press and used an exact knife to clean up the slots so now all actually function

Usually led strips have low power , however I found some 6500k 5730 led strips which are 4.56 watts per 14 inches of strip.
These LED's can output as much as 50-55 lumens per led at.5watt / .150ma max. However because at that level they get very hot so instead
the strips under drive them but use more pieces. This way they run cooler , more efficiently and last Longer and great output for small tanks . (in fact I switched out all the light strip in under kitchen
cabinets at home my wife loves how bright it is and they feel like SAD treatment lamps)

I used two piece of upside down led channel bonded with high temp heatsink epoxy to make one piece.
Laid out three strips of ceramic heatsink tape on the back side for the three led strips.

Each strip has it's own power leads instead of daisy chaining to avoid resistive losses and draws about 376ma at 12vdc for 4.52 watts.
Total draw is 1.13amps at 12vdc for 13.56 watts.
The end product seems to be a very decent amount of light on this tanks which already grows plants nicely albeit slow due to the constant ambient co2 level in the tank maintained by the overhead wet dry trickledown filter.

Btw Substrate is BDBS and O+ root tabs. Salty shrimp gh/kh+ and tropica specialized
Since I did the upgrade the , the cabomba and AR mini have come out of stasis and started putting new growth out after 4 days for the first time in months.
In the future I may desolder a few strategic 5730 leds and replace them with a few pink grow spectrum 5730 leds I already have. Finicky work desoldering SMD LEDs but I have done it quite a few times now successfully.

PS Right now tank has some pinna and wallichi just floating around as I just got them donated and waiting for my 12L to set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanklid.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	905383  

Name:	led under.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	905385  

Name:	ar380.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	905387  

deeda and Bettatail like this.

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
I had the same tank, odyssea 8 gallon, a couple years ago it was empty on the floor in my backyard, a bicycle fell and shattered the glass.

really good DIY led light strip, the original single 24 watts PC bulb runs hot and barely grow plants after a couple years, expensive to replace too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
I had the same tank, odyssea 8 gallon, a couple years ago it was empty on the floor in my backyard, a bicycle fell and shattered the glass.

really good DIY led light strip, the original single 24 watts PC bulb runs hot and barely grow plants after a couple years, expensive to replace too.

Tragic , I love these little tanks ..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

A little off topic but what's that low growing red plant in the bottom right of the tank? Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the tank.

- Sent from a Nokia Brick
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A simple High OutPut DIY led strip light hood conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
A little off topic but what's that low growing red plant in the bottom right of the tank? Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the tank.

It is Alternanthera reineckii mini (j26).
it has been in the tank for over a year and without growing, it was in stasis when it had the 6w led Over it. The new strip lights woke it up and it started putting up new leaves immediately
Scully likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update

I went back and swapped out some of the white 5730 LEDs with some grow spectrum ones. (pinkish).
I put them all on one of the strips in case I want to Control the strips separately at some point.
it's a very delicate procedure Desoldering LEDs from strip lights I managed it fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode