Anyone us K1 as static media in a canister? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone us K1 as static media in a canister?

I was reading this website last week:
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-2-3-k1-media/

Instinct tells me to take it with a pinch of salt, but I also admit to being one of those who use Seachem Matrix in all my filters because of how good people (Seachem?) say it is. Then I spotted a couple of bags of ANS K1 media on offer and thought I'd pick some up to investigate and perhaps broaden my filter media horizons.

My tanks either use canister filters or they have internal filters (similar to small sump setups hidden at the back). Sumps are not an option due to small size of tanks (13l shrimp tanks, 50 litre "big" fish tank!) and no space under the tanks.

So what about using a bag of K1 media in place of Matrix in a canister or internal filter for the bio-filter? The above website would suggest that it is waaaaay better:

But is it? Does anyone actually use it statically like this? Any experience or real world results to share please?

Many thanks, James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So no one uses K1 as static media in a filter then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

I threw out all my Matrix and just put in 10/20 ppi Poret foam and plastic pot scrubbies in my canister a year ago just like the author of the web site above said. Have cleaned my canister twice in a year and now will go 8 months because the media just does not clog and has great flow. Water has been crystal clear for the first time in 10 years. Non planted tank with all fake plants. It works.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode