DIY Co2 reactor Q - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Lightbulb DIY Co2 reactor Q

I've been reading up on the Rex grigg set up and I was wondering what you guys feedback would be on having the Co2 line between the outlet of the canister and the regulator. I read some had nothing in the reactor, some add bioballs n very few add scrubbies.

I am thinking of a 2" ID at 10-12" long for a renaX3 (if 3" would be better, please tell me Lol).

The set up will be as followed...

RenaX3, 9 watt turbo twist, co2 line (2" b4 the reactor) and then the reactor with a scrubbie or 2.

I'm thinking the 5/8 hose w/the co2 will push the co2 hard into the reactor where it will be met with a scrubbie about 3" or so into the reactor.

What's you guys opinion?
Pros n cons are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally I'd want to use something that will provide good surface for air/water interface, and I think the bio-balls or scrubbies will work fine.

I had an older reactor that I sold a while back that used bio-balls and worked just fine.

As long as air/water enter from the top, and has some sort of air/water interface, all should be good.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1 View Post
I've been reading up on the Rex grigg set up and I was wondering what you guys feedback would be on having the Co2 line between the outlet of the canister and the regulator.
I'm not sure what you meant by this can you clarify? Maybe I'm just missing it

As far as having some media inside the reactor, I would suggest having no media at all. If your flow is right and the diameter of the main reactor tube is right, the bubbles will try to float up in the downward moving water and there will be plenty of turbulence to dissolve the CO2. With media, you risk slowing down the flow and also it could lead to maintenance or other issues.

My reactor is empty and I would estimate that 99% of the CO2 is dissolved (at least). Only an occasional tiny bubble makes it to the tank, say one or two every few seconds and the bubbles are so small you can't see them. I have a nice green drop checker and clear water.

I also love the fact that my reactor is in clear pvc so I can actually see how it's working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Attachment 28621

This is what I had in mind. 180* from the Rex Grigg flow direction but I figure I could mess with the reactor before drilling a hole on the side of it.

I thought about having nothing in the middle but I though the reactor had to be long for that to work out (I may go shorter but 12" is the tallest I will go).

Attachment 28625

Here is another I just thought of. Do you think its over kill? 1st Reactor either same size or slightly bigger with nothing in it. The 2nd reactor the exact size of Bio Balls and let it go back to the tank.

Last edited by West1; 06-03-2011 at 01:12 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Look into the "cerges" reactor. I'll never go back to a rex reactor. And they are easier to make.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nice, will do
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Am I correct in assuming that you don't want to go past 12 inches because of space issues? If so, maybe a cerges reactor would be a good option - they can be a bit shorter. If not, a simple griggs style reactor should be fine and.

My guess is that the water moving upward with the CO2 in it won't help much, even if there is media inside. I did quite a few different configurations before I got my griggs reactor working perfectly and the only thing that was 100% solid was the simple 'water moving downward + bubbles trying to move upward' concept.

I would definitely keep it as simple as possible, with as few parts as possible. The bare-bones griggs reactor is incredibly simple and easy to build. I did it with no experience with pvc or anything and it was a snap. If justin says that the cerges reactor is somehow simpler than the griggs reactor it could be a great option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode