The Planted Tank Forum banner

Undertank filter water level shut off switch

615 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Maximus71 
#1 ·
I am custom building an undertank filter for a 20G hex tank. The filter will built into a 5 gallon plastic file box, with a pond pump to return water to the tank and a over the back overflow to drain water to the filter. I am trying to (as much as possible) flood proof the system. I will have check valves on the pipes going in both directions from the filter but I would like to also add a sensor that can shut off the pump if the water level in the filter gets too low (which would indicate that the overflow is clogged and water is not draining out of my tank to the filter).

I have been looking at this but do any of you have other suggestions?

This tank will be in my living room on a nice floor and directly above the house circut breaker panel so I do want to do what I can to prevent flood issues.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Go to you tube and watch this guy's series of videos. He covers pretty much all of the failures you can experience and how to plan for them so they don't damage you equipment, fish or your house. Worth the watch. He presents lots of great information. His tanks are impressive at 375 gallon and 500 gallons.

He uses a pump controller sourced from Amazon. Looks like this one. the price seems steep, but it is a drop in the bucket (pun intended) compared to the repair bills you could be facing if you don't use one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.