DIY 3 stage lighting. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY 3 stage lighting.

So Im having another go at planted tanks and decided I wanted more lighting. I tinkered with my stock lights once, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-w-lights.html, but this takes it to a new level.

First I took apart my old upgrade and returned it to stock. So each unit has 1 T8 15W light. Then I built an open top and bottom wooden box of the correct dimensions so the stock lights can it right on top and form the top of the assembly. I installed the sockets and hardware from the old upgrade into the box. Next I got some new bulbs. These are 45W 5500K spiral CFLs intended for photography I got from amazon. And finally I added 1 led night light into each box for moonlight.

So the end effect is, the two T8s come on for dawn, 2 hours later the 4 x 45W CFLs come on for the main grow period. Six hours or so later the grow lights turn off and the T8s are on alone for another 2 hours for dusk. Then they go off and the moonlights are on for the rest of the night.

Still setting up the tank so not sure how well they will grow. In hindsight probably would have been better off just buying a T5 fixture, but hey, DIY is so much more fun.

One of the socket assemblies.

This is the night light I got. The little diffuser just pops right off and you are left with a little LED spotlight that just plugs right in.

The finished units.

The bulbs I am trying.

The finished product on the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode