4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishess View Post
WoW so much info thanks alot. <3
I will be odering the stand from steel manufacturer (as i don't have the welders and skill ) so the welds i hope will be good..
All inside welds will be left as is for more strength.. All outside welds will be smooth..
The steel has these letters and numbers (S235) if helps?
The max shaking will be from train going by my house You can see water shaking in the "water bottle" on my desk.
Let's say i don't want any "braces"(that you mention i had in my first post..) Can i go simply lagger diameter tubbing to increse stability? Example 2.36 inch tubes? Still 1/8 thick, will that work out for simple 4 legs?
Overall the max weight will be only 55-65 gallons. I think that would be so strong.
(Also less material and weight from stand with 2.36 inch tubes)
S235 is a European grade steel that is most comparable to US A283C. A283C is about 3/5 as strong as the A500 Grade C I mentioned before. Seeing as the maximum water weight of the 33"x15"x20" tank that you mentioned above is still only about 360 lbs (maybe 400 lbs if you're using heavy hardscape), you shouldn't have any problems with the slight decrease in steel strength. (Remember one of those legs can support 18,000 lbs in compression, or 4000 lbs in bending over the 4 ft. span.)

As for the rest of your comments, if you are having this work done by a steel shop, I wouldn't worry about the weld quality then. Just ask them if they inspect welds prior to completion and if they do inspect them, you shouldn't have any issues. If the shop is going to be welding the frame, you don't need any braces at all, even with the smaller tube shapes (assuming they're using a basic 1/8" fillet/CJP/PJP weld.) Welded frames typically fail at the connections first when something goes wrong, so increasing the size of the tubes wont have any impact on increasing the strength of the welded material, that's why I asked about the quality of the welds initially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Welds are going to be the weakest part of the structure, (depending on the welding technique used) as there's a heat affected zone where the steel loses some strength.

Depending whether it's arc stick, fluxcore, MIG or TIG. Inert gas shielded welding tends to make a smaller heat effected area.

But considering this isn't a crane boom or a tandem bike frame, I can't help but think a welded steel aquarium tank stand would be one of the least stressed uses for the tubing you're calling for.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If it were to break a weld,consider what it would take. To break one weld would take lots of pressure going sideways and what would that be. One person pushing on square tubes welded together would not be likely to break it and when one weld can't move until ALL the other welds also move, I might think it would have to be hit by a car to collapse the stand!
Consider that welded steel is used for race car roll cages where they do assume a car is going to land on them!

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishess View Post
Yeah i know it will be high, Mine will be 43 inches after top wood under tank. I like the tank to be my somewhat eye level xD If the tank is to low.. how do i see the fishes, i need to kneel down each time i wanna see them? xD

What maintenance are you talking about? Weekly water change/filter cleaning?(Change prefilter 3 mins done/Put in tube to drain in shower) Okey gravel cleaning i can use a stool once a month.

I regularly gravel vacuumed and serviced the Aqua Clear 500 on the 50 tall. Like all of my other tanks, it usually took less than a couple hours to do all with my Python water changing system, 25% water change every week or so.

But the 50 was already on top of a island/table that was 43" high, and it was 1 feet from the edge of this table so I had to reach over and in with my arm crocked over the tank edge. It wasn't my favorite tank to work on, but it looked great.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 07-30-2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: photo...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode