Co2 Mixture - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Co2 Mixture

I have the Hagen Co2 kit. I have been making my own with yeast and baking soda. Is there anyway to increase the Co2 or bubbles per minute by changing the mixture.

Right now its 5ml of baking soda, a pinch of yeast or 2ml and the sugar, which I have not measured. I have tried 5ml of each but that didnt seem to work either.

Does anybody know of way to increase the Co2 output until I get the paintball tank setup finished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
How many bubbles per minute are you getting now? I've never used baking soda in my diy CO2, but I believe it regulates the amount produced so you could try leaving the baking soda out of the mix. I've also heard that adding brown sugar can help increase CO2 production. I'm not 100% sure on these since I haven't tried them myself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its never really consistant. Right now is right about 6 bubbles per minute. I know it could be up to 10 as well. Maybe I will decrease the the baking soda a little more

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do not mind if I have to refill it more often as long I can keep steady until I can do the other option
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djscotty View Post
I have the Hagen Co2 kit. I have been making my own with yeast and baking soda. Is there anyway to increase the Co2 or bubbles per minute by changing the mixture.

Right now its 5ml of baking soda, a pinch of yeast or 2ml and the sugar, which I have not measured. I have tried 5ml of each but that didnt seem to work either.

Does anybody know of way to increase the Co2 output until I get the paintball tank setup finished?
Here's a link to very informative DIY co2 page. From everything I've tried in the past, it's just trial and error until you find what works for you.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3

I tried using champagne yeast with protein powder, bubble rate was a lot more than Hagen recipe, however didn't last as long. I rigged up a DIY 1 litre bottle to "sub in" when the Hagen reactor began to diminish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode