The missus and I bought a foreclosed home about a year and a half ago. In the corner of the garage, I found this thing:
It was in really bad shape. I doubt the previous owners bothered to even attempt to run it. I had no idea how it worked, or what to do with it. I let it sit for months while I researched. I discovered that this is quite an expensive machine; definitely worth repairing if possible, so I turned it into a project. Here are a few 'before' pics:
Below the main frame:
The boiler reservoir:
As you can see, it's filthy. It took 3+ months just to clean it, and several more months in repairs. Finally, after about half a year, I got to turn it on, and it actually worked! I honestly wasn't expecting that. Here are some 'after' pics.
There was a pump on the bottom to carry water through my house. Unfortunately, it's toast. I need a new one, but they're not cheap. Also, since the last pics, I replaced the CPVC faucet I stuck on the boiler. I didn't trust plastic here.
It's been in operation for about a month now. I've distilled about 40 gallons through it. The water is still not 100% pure, and I'm not sure why. My first batch came out to 60 ppm TDS. It is currently measuring 5 ppm. This is good, but I want zero. Hopefully it will reach zero soon.