building a tank hood and wiring from scratch - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
building a tank hood and wiring from scratch

i'm building an ornamental hood for my 20 gallon aquairium that will provide more light for my plants. the hood itself will be 5" tall. i want to wire two single bulb flourscent lights from two older hoods and two cpu fans into into the new hood. it would be really convient if i could wire them all to one switch and one power cord. i now there will have to be some kind of converter between the cpu fans and the flourescent lights because of the difference in voltage. i imagine i could just cut the cords of the two flourescent lights and combine them with one cord, but i dont know how to wire them to the same switch. they each have their own switch. i'd like the fans run all the time but i'd like to be able to turn off the lights at night. does any have any suggestions and wiring tips for an ameteur?

Last edited by nitelyechos; 03-10-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You need to study some internet sites that give basic electrical circuits and how they work. Playing with the wiring when you have to ask the questions you asked is not a good idea.

Cpu fans tend to be 12 volt DC powered, so you need a converter to give you the 12 volts DC for the fans. That can be one that plugs into the wall outlet, with the output cable going to the fans, or it can be one that has an electric cord the plugs into the wall outlet. If it is the latter, you could mount the converter in the hood, and wire the lights and converter in parallel.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode