DIY 60p Stand - A Different Take on Design & Construction - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
  • 8 Post By brohawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
DIY 60p Stand - A Different Take on Design & Construction

So I posted this a while back in somebody else's thread. Thought it'd be good to have its own so more folks can potentially see it and get their own creative juices going. Below is the stand I built about a year ago to house our very large goldfish (after 10 years he has unfortunately passed on just recently). In our house there was no other place to put it but in our foyer near the front door. The requirement from the SO was that it also have a shelf for keys/mail/etc, as it would also be replacing a small bookshelf that originally served that purpose.

Materials:
2"x 2" maple (1.5" actual)
3/16" ply for the sides/back
3/4" ply under the tank and for the shelf
3/4" x 6" maple for the doors (in hindsight I should've just used ply as the boards were still a bit warped and I don't have access to a planer)

Tools needed:
Kreg pocket hole jig
Router table and 3/16" straight 2-fluted bit
Table saw
Chop saw
Hand drill

Everything was put together w/ just pocket hole screws and glue. Sides/back are floating in a ~1/4" deep dado cut into the 2"x 2" maple boards. The top piece was made by making 3/4" x 3/4" rabbet cuts into the top inside edges of the maple (I just used a table saw as I didn't have the proper router rabbet bit), squared up w/ 45 deg cut corners, and then dropping the ply into the middle before clamping, gluing and screwing. Plastic wood putty was applied into any gaps between the maple and ply and sanded down flush. I started by making the top first, then adding a vertical leg, then ply, rinse, repeat. I didn't take any photos during construction, so here is the finished product:

deeda, Remmy, Greggz and 5 others like this.

Last edited by brohawk; 04-18-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fixed image links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Beautiful stand! love the color and how the water lines come out the side! very nice

The inside is pretty narrow are you going to have space to add a CO2 tank and heater underneath or keeping it low tech?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
It's about 11" deep inside so should be enough room for a 5 or 10lb + inline heater. I don't have plans to go high tech w/ it though now that its inhabitant has died--the wife agreed that if we downsized to only 1 tank in the house, I could get what I actually wanted instead. So I have a Waterbox 3620 in the garage waiting for me to build a similar stand and light fixture to what I built here. So this one's going up for sale locally as is very soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode