Sump Design (feedback) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWingman48 View Post
I feel like y'all are talking me out of all but that last baffle in my design.
Oh no, definitely don't think that.

I would totally have you take that out as well. Completely unneeded. Especially the extra fine filter pad if you are not sticking anything in the middle space like random fish or plants etc. Right after the mechanical filtration should just be an open space. You really don't need baffles for anything except directing water through the mechanical filtration. If you want you can even dump the socks and just use the matten type filters. If your overflow system in the main tank is quiet you can have the sump input water supply be below the surface. Then you can get rid of the idea of water flowing overwalls and instead just flowing directly through the matten style filters. This way your sump will be essentially silent.

I've seen this design a few times. The biggest one was on George Farmer's channel for a 7500 gallon tank he helped scape. George Farmer has a video that is the behind the scenes where they have the filter etc. Its basically just a grown up version of what I am describing plus a water polisher. The part I am talking about is at around the 17 minute mark.

Rainer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I hadn't heard of the matten filter sump design, so thanks for posting that. Are they a new development or only for freshwater? Any drawbacks for us?

Snail Glades,
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I hadn't heard of the matten filter sump design, so thanks for posting that. Are they a new development or only for freshwater? Any drawbacks for us?
I've seen some cichlid guys that run sumps that are just a big piece of foam stuff in the middle of a tote. I like matte filters, but don't want them in the tank. I once had a 80 frag tank that I used as a sump. It had an overflow box in one corner, allowing me to use foam to make a small pump compartment that made all the water travel though the foam.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I'm honestly not sure how new of a development they are. I know lots of folks that have been using matten filters for years, can't say if its been decades or not. There are no drawbacks, its just a bunch of dense sponge, should last for years and years. The "hard" part is making sure you have the right porosity.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the awesome feedback y'all! You've totally changed my idea for the design for a much simpler design. This has been a great conversation for sure, and I very much appreciate it.

I feel like I need at least one baffle @minorhero -- I want to make sure that the water level in the sump stays consistent enough that my heaters don't leave the water. I have an ATO, but it still makes me nervous that my fill bucket goes dry and the water level drops too much.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking now for the sump, any final thoughts y'all?

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just put the heaters on the bottom of the tank and raise your return pump intake higher than the heaters. Now you can't have them go dry.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWingman48 View Post
Thanks for all of the awesome feedback y'all! You've totally changed my idea for the design for a much simpler design. This has been a great conversation for sure, and I very much appreciate it.

I feel like I need at least one baffle @minorhero -- I want to make sure that the water level in the sump stays consistent enough that my heaters don't leave the water. I have an ATO, but it still makes me nervous that my fill bucket goes dry and the water level drops too much.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking now for the sump, any final thoughts y'all?

I like it. Something I remember from the video I saw (still can't find it), as one of the 3 filters begins to get dirty, the level of the water "behind" it goes up. Not a lot, but if one looks close and pays attention to it it was noticeable. So, In your case - if the (med) filter starts to get plugged up, the water level in the (filter socks) and (course) sections will be maybe 1/4" higher than the (fine) and open space areas.

Also, for what it's worth, if each filter grade (course)(med)(fine) were made up of 2 layers of material (i.e., two 1" layers vs one 2" layer) you should be able to pull out, clean, and replace any one layer without ever allowing debris into the pump return area.

Looks like Sing found the video that I could never seem to find :-)
Blue Ridge Reef and Rainer like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 04-20-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: <?>
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
if you wanted to do the trickle tower approach, @Hendy8888 has a really good example of one https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11112487

if you go with the Matten filter approach i recommend adding Acrylic or glass L-shaped brackets to separate the foam pads and to also ensure that the water slip pass the sides of the foam
Cory from aquarium co-op has a nice matten like design excepet he's using the japanese mat for ponds instead

what ever style you go with I suggest having a section for your overflow pipes to exit 1" below the water line

reduces noise and some splashing, less splashing equals less degassing of co2

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to allexx46 Send a message via Yahoo to allexx46
Are you trying to make a tank like this?

165 Show tank 60" Wide 30" deep Planted with large plants and huge fish load. You can go to my profile and see how it started. Sump is dark.

First picture is my tanks as described above. Fish are Huge with Electric Blue Acara being 6" for scale. A fleet of 11 Gara, 1 Siamese algae eater and several large Pleco (which control the trumpet snails) keep it clean.
Second picture is showing back of tanks with my planted overflows full of snails, ammano shrimp and plants.
Third picture is my sump with water flowing directly down through two filters, then Balls into 5" of water containing heater
Then to the left through a pile of filter bags and bio media with COR 20 Pump with CO2 injector at inlet, Automatic top off system, cooling fans, lights on planted areas, CO2, etc all controlled by Apex.

Many thanks to the Guru's on this forum for ideas. Very few do large planted tanks with large fish so a lot of this has been trial and error. This setup is working.. Only algae is issue is Staghorn due to too much light in the overflows. When I remove the Anacharus every 2 weeks I soak the good pieces in hydrogen peroxide (3%) 4ml per 5 gal for 30 min in a stainless pan, Rince and return to overflows,while I change the water in the main tank. This controls it without killing the biofilm that the large snails and large 3" amano shrimp live on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_020207176_iOS.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	897055  

Name:	20200423_020016871_iOS.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	897057  

Name:	20200423_020116068_iOS.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	897059  

Last edited by allexx46; 04-24-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: adding needed information

Tags
sump design

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode