• 1 Post By Grobbins48
  • 2 Post By Grobbins48
  • 3 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 reactor

i post this in my journal but there is no answer so maybe here will be better…

because tank is in my living room and all equipement will be below in cabinet want to do silent as can...

Can someone help me with co2 reactor….i will biuld gregg riggs but dont know what size for pipe....my main pipe is 2 inch and return is 1 inch….reactor can be high max 200 cm or 2 by 100 cm if is better?Do i need pump only for reactor?
here on forum someone told that better for co2 IN on top of reactor and someone is put picture where is on bottom?What is better?
I buy GHL profilux4 and dosier also….can someone told me if this pump can be connected to jebao pump because on profilux site they write something about 1-10v pump and this jebao is not.
I find pump jebao 15000 ? what think and if is that good for me if can be controled by profilux and their breakbox?Or please recommend some return pump that is silent and not using much watts?
Thanks in front...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No the Jeabo pump is not designed to be connected to a controller
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My Jebao came with its own controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you set on a Griggs? A Cerges style reactor I find to be more space efficient. I am running a 10in housing one on my 75 and have no issues with it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Are you set on a Griggs? A Cerges style reactor I find to be more space efficient. I am running a 10in housing one on my 75 and have no issues with it at all.
i was looking a lot and more yes is on griggs then cerges….for me is whatever is better i did not start jet building...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav Mirt View Post
i was looking a lot and more yes is on griggs then cerges….for me is whatever is better i did not start jet building...
I am sure there are diehards are each side of this discussion. I have never done a griggs, but after making and using a cerges I would not have it any other way.

Easy to build, install, bleed, and service (never needed to, but would be).

|

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes that i right…
now i look and see lot of small cerges ..is it possible to do bigger if need for my tank?
also do i need pump for him?

Bump: yes that i right…
now i look and see lot of small cerges ..is it possible to do bigger if need for my tank?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
yes that i right…

Bump: yes that i right…

You can build a 20inch housing one, and yes either need a pump or canister filter to power it.
Greggz likes this.

|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Both the Grigg's and Cerge's are good options and both have some things that favor one over the other, depending on what we each like or feel we need. The Grigg's is somewhat cheaper to build and can be sized to fit most any tank as long as there is room for the extra height. The Cerge's has the downside of the filter housing being a bit more expensive to buy and takes more width as it is short and fat. But both need a pump to create the water flow to move the water through as the CO2 is dissolved into it. Some form of pump to get the water out of the tank, through the reactor, and back into the tank.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so if i take one pump for return...need one more for reactor?
Or this is the same pump?
what size of pump for reactor..
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
so if i take one pump for return...need one more for reactor?
Or this is the same pump?
what size of pump for reactor..
I would say it depends- and disclaimer I have never used a sump before.

You could run it through a return pump, but that pump is likely too strong. I would probably advise a second pump that takes filtered water from the last chamber of the sump, runs in through the reactor, and either put it into the tank, or near the input to the return pump in the last chamber. Maybe someone else can give a better suggestion.

You probably want an adjustable flow pump, or one that is around 500ish GPH or less for the reactor. Too fast of a flow will blow any CO2 bubbles out of nearly any reactor. Take a bit of fine tuning.
Tomislav Mirt and MD500_Pilot like this.

|

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is no one firm answer for what size pump as it takes different things for different tanks. Some things that change what pump? How much CO2 is needed? Small tanks use less and tanks lose CO2 differently. Some with lots of surface movement will lose it quicker. I have run small 20 Gallon alongside 75 gallon and both used the same setting on the CO2! Very hard to say without trying it. Both reactors use the same idea. Ideally, they keep the CO2 bubbles in the chamber as they grow smaller, until they are totally mixed in the water and we don't see it come out in the tank as bubbles. Most feel it looks better not to have the tank water show bubbles like soda! It also makes the CO2 more efficient as the smaller, unseen bubbles do not go straight to the top and come out. How long they stay in depends on how much and how fast the water is moving. We put the CO2 in the top and they try to float up as the water goes down, until the bubble size is too small to fight the downward moving water. Think like a swimmer in a rip current, only vertical instead of horizontal, perhaps?
I do not find the pump has to be an expensive type which can be controlled on speed as most impeller pumps are not harmed by simply adjusting a valve to reduce the outgoing flow. We sometimes call it "throttling" when we reduce the flow.
I like to build in place things that have more than enough capacity/ability to do what I need and then I can work it down/ throttle it without having to rebuy or rebuild some part. Nothing costs more than having to buy things twice because I save money on the first try!

The site with design from Rex Grigg's is here:
https://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm
I stay very close to this and it has rarely failed me. The only time it has failed to work well is when I cut the size down to 3/4 inch pipe for a really small tank and bubbles came shooting out asit seems to need a larger diameter than that.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-24-2020 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode