• 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 2 Post By GraphicGr8s
  • 1 Post By Remmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question for DIY stand gurus

I have a custom 75 gal acrylic tank that is 5 feet long . I want to build a better stand for it , something along the lines of the pic below......

I was wondering if I could use these..........

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3509/203103415

in place of the extra 2x4s that the outside ones are screwed into . Seems to me it should work and would lighten the stand a great deal and be more cost effective (cheap lol ) . The only thing I see as a problem would be racking , but I am going to skin it in plywood so that is solved . Please let me know what you think or have done in the past . Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	893017  

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Last edited by Leeatl; 02-07-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I have a custom 75 gal acrylic tank that is 5 feet long . I want to build a better stand for it , something along the lines of the pic below......

I was wondering if I could use these..........

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3509/203103415

in place of the extra 2x4s that the outside ones are screwed into . Seems to me it should work and would lighten the stand a great deal and be more cost effective (cheap lol ) . The only thing I see as a problem would be racking , but I am going to skin it in plywood so that is solved . Please let me know what you think or have done in the past . Thanks
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is the inside 2x4 should not even go all the way to the tank and the floor. It should be there essentially as a guide for assembly and to assist with racking issues. The outside 2x4 are the load barring ones. Also a 2x4 costs less then 3 dollars. Those metal brackets cost around 50 cents to 4 dollars a piece depending on quality and thickness. So you would probably spend more adding the brackets.
deeda and Quagulator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply . You are right about the cost when I re figured with studs it came out the about the same .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

Also vote no.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree no to the brackets.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks all . i am going with the studs .
deeda likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

Go with wood, or screw and glue with pocket holes if you know someone with a jig you could borrow.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No to the brackets, but understand that stands like pictured will probably hold many times the weight intended. Most DIY stands are overengineered hugely.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If I were going with that design, I would go for making it more simple, lighter and using less wood where it gives little benefit. Asking what each piece does make help.
What do the three horizontals at the top do? They keep the outside horizontals from bowing in or twisting but one will do as well as three, so leave out two?
At the corners is where the weight rests and two 2X4 screwed/glued at an angle will hold a truck! So the inner 2X is there only to hold the top rail from sliding off the uprights, so ask what it takes to move the top rail sideways? If there is a plywood skin added outside the joint between the top rail and uprights, how can the two move apart without tearing the plywood? If one wanted to make it more solid while we get the plywood placed, a single spike driven at an angle down at the corner and into the legs will certainly make it stay while we add the plywood and then glue will be plenty to meld the two into one solid item. To assure the wood at the end doesn't spilt as we drive the spike in, drill a hole almost the size of the spike first. It's only there as a temporary pin and will not back out once the plywood is added over the head.
Racking? With four 2X angles and plywood added on top of that? Racking is not going to happen!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Adding to Rich's looking at what things do.

The left and right side pieces on top. Do they hold weight? Not to a great extent.

In my racks I using notches in the legs to hold the rails.
That bottom frame. make it smaller to fit inside the legs and raise. Notch the top of the legs to hold the top frame.

Proper joinery will yield a strong stand with less wood. And smaller dimensions.
That bottom frame could really be a 2 x 3. Heck that whole stand could be 2x3.

How do I know? I've got 14 tanks on one rack from 2x3. Sucker is 8' long.

This link of my fish house shows what I mean
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ish-house.html
reddhawkk and Lingwendil like this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Planted Member

^ I like those racks, very nice. My next stand build I'm going for notched posts and nicer joinery, that's good inspiration.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
^ I like those racks, very nice. My next stand build I'm going for notched posts and nicer joinery, that's good inspiration.
Thank you. All construction grade stuff. If I were building those for in the house, even if just to hold a single tank, I would rip the rounded corners off the 2x material and get a nice tight fit on the dadoes.
The racks that held the 22 breeders were redone so it is now one rack 6' long. And I've built another 8' long to hold 20 longs. That rack I did out of 2 x 4 since it was an 8' span with no center support. After I built it I did add in a 1x4 center however. Home depot and Lowes seem to get their wood from spiderwood trees.

Bump: To the OP. If it were me I'd build a stand for the house just like I would a cabinet. 3/4" plywood. Joinery would be tongue and dado. Glue and screw. Use 1 x 4 around the perimeter in a shallow rabbet where the tank sits and cover it with 3/4" plywood so the acrylic has a firm foundation and it is still tank to wood to floor.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

I did a bracket build in addition to glue and it's fine, holds a 90p, i wanted something nicer looking than the standard 2x4 build
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...high-tech.html
Lingwendil likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Planted Member

That's a very clean stand, great job!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode