• 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5gal rimless cover?

Been out of the hobby for a year or two after breaking down my larger tanks. Finally re-starting a small 5-gal planted rimless (currently cycling). Question is whether or not it needs a lid? I've noticed quite a bit of evaporation over the last couple days, and also not sure what I'm going to stock the tank with. Anyone know if I need a lid? How to make one? Its rimless, and has some wood poking above the water line, a HOB, and a wabi-kusa ball on one corner.

Advise appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Really depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank.

I don't like lids / glass tops, but some people do.

If you don't run a lid, expect to find a couple dried up fish or shrimp on the floor per year.
fpn and Asteroid like this.

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:07 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

I just got a waterbox 10 clear on sale and I do need a lid as I will have a betta in there.

The lid situation is grim, the recommended lids run 2-3 times the price of the tank...

So it will be some DIY solution...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Also helps alot to keep water level 1"+ below rim. I'm currently running a rimless tank with black neons and ember tetras, a few guppies and shrimp. Haven't had any jumpers over 8 months.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM
fpn
Algae Grower

Yeah, I am mainly concerned about Timujin our pet Betta, the kids are not going to be happy if he ends up on the floor.

Betta are insectivores and I read the average Betta can jump 2-3 inches. And watching him hunt for shrimp I can totally see that he can launch himself 3 inches...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
A set of clips to hold a piece of glass in place start at ~$5US. Available in everything from acrylic to stainless steel.

Glass for a small tank - even cut and sanded - would be about the same price.

It cost me about $25 total to put glass covers on four rimless tanks. Largest expense was getting the clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpn View Post
I just got a waterbox 10 clear on sale and I do need a lid as I will have a betta in there.

The lid situation is grim, the recommended lids run 2-3 times the price of the tank...

So it will be some DIY solution...
fpn likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

If possible simply don't run a lid. Anytime you add new fish that are prone to jumping like bettas just put some plastic wrap on top for a week. That's when they are most likely to jump because they are stressed being in a new environment.

If for whatever reason you must run a lid I suggest having a piece of glass cut to the correct size ( most hardware stores can do this ) and buying some clips to hold it in place.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquariums-Acr...0408524&sr=8-2

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quagulator - Yeah, I typically dont like lidds either, but I'm wondering if the evaporation might get old. The issue is possible jumpers.

somewhatshocked, minorhero - The glass idea is great except I have quite a few things poking out above the tank rim (wood, wabi-kusa ball).

I like the plastic wrap idea for introducing fish and then removing once they calm down. Might also think about adding netting around the tank vertically along the edges if I find I get jumpers. I'm thinking either a pair of betta brownorum, maybe some killifish, pygmy cories, or some native fish like pygmy sunfish or maybe a darter or two. None of them together though...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Something to consider that never occurred to me in my 5g shrimp tank is having a lid bumps up the temperature in the water. Eliminating the ability for the water to evaporate and cool things down can lead to a little bit of a temperature jump. This probably isnt a big deal if you have a tank heater or another way of regulating the temperature but as someone in Florida I run absent those things. Had to get rid of the lid on my tank to bring my tank down from around 80 to 75.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I use lids on all my tanks every except the riparium. I'm too prone to braking for a glass lid so all mine are made from Lexan polycarbonate. It is not the same as acrylic which bows really bad and is more brittle. Lexan can be cut with a high tooth count saw or a utility knife and a little effort. You can get I think for pretty cheap at Home Depot.

edit: didn't quite finish this before.
I keep lids on all my tanks to:
~reduce evaporation (and thus # of top offs)
~reduce room humidity for us humans (still have to run a dehumidifier which lops back to point #1)
~reduce energy usage on heater
~keep water from splashing out from over exuberant sponge filters
~extra protection from bettas jumping (though I have had bettas and other fish in open top tanks with floating plants without issue... except cherry barbs.. they liked to kill themselves (probably to get away from those horny males (started with a 3:1 f:m ratio with 12 total.. it didn't help..))
~on the betta train of though-lids give a warm humid air for them to breath when they go to the surface.
~keep random [censor] from falling in the tank (I'm a klutz-which is also why I can't have glass lids)
fpn likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 02-06-2020 at 02:46 AM. Reason: added info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode