4Likes
  • 3 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By mboley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Opinions wanted on DIY light support

I have a 45p in the bedroom. I have been running a Twinstar E Series on it but never liked the color. Aesthetically it looks great setting on the tank but that's it. I had some other lights in the basement. A couple Ecoxotica E Series 24" and a BML XB 24". Always liked both the light and currently running two of the Ecoxotica. Took some 1/2' black pipe and made little light stands. I used two sided adhesive to mount the round bases to the top of the stand. I like the color and appearance of the tank now but an undecided on the light support. Any input is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	891931  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Instead of putting the light ontop of the pipe, can you make the pipe a little taller and hang the light from the pipe? Some chain attached to the pipe would work well for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:40 PM
Planted Member

I think two black L brackets mounted to the wall and the light hanging from an adjustable cable kit would look better and allow you to easily adjust the light intensity.
ginplants likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

Like Minorhero said, putting the light beneath the pipe would look better, great aquarium btw
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agreeabout putting light under pipe .Do you mean you used double stick tape to hold light stand ? If so I don't know if I would trust it over the long haul . Too much leverage working against it with the light and all . I would either screw it down or replace the flanges with an elbow and a foot or so of pipe capped on the end . Nice looking tank .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I agreeabout putting light under pipe .Do you mean you used double stick tape to hold light stand ? If so I don't know if I would trust it over the long haul . Too much leverage working against it with the light and all . I would either screw it down or replace the flanges with an elbow and a foot or so of pipe capped on the end . Nice looking tank .

Thank you. I used the 3M automotive stuff. You can tug on the support and nearly flip the stand over. Didn't want to run screws into the wood. As you can tell by this post. I am not in love with it.. Plus a little heat and I can remove them.

On the other hand the plants have responded very well with increased light and ferts
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, I finished my LED floodlight stand today.
Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/oUvRISw
I used alu profiles 15mmx15mm and some mountings.
Posting just if someone wanted another inspiration.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

Hanging the light from an adjustable cable kit would definitely be most visually pleasing, in my opinion. Great looking tank!

Just keep swimming...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode