full length hob filter. - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By deltagraphic
  • 1 Post By AdamTill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question full length hob filter.

Hey all, this is my first time posting after reading this forum for years. I'm finally getting around to setting up my 55 gal display tank for the living room and am planning to go all out on it. I intend to keep it low-tech (in the sense of no co2) but fairly involved on the diy side. I've been kicking around the idea of building a hob filter that runs the entire length of the tank and empties on the opposite side as the power-head. Most of this would be filled with ceramic media and vining plants that will trail up a lattice on the wall. My plan was to build it out of acrylic and keep it pretty narrow (2-3 inches front to back and 4-6 inches deep). Mind you, I'm not doing this to super-charge my filtration and keep 7 arowanas and a stingray in a 55, I'm just interested in having space for plants all across the back and generating a gentle right to left current in the tank.

I've been keeping fish since the 90's and I'm pretty confident with every other aspect of this build but haven't seen anyone else using a filter set-up like this and am wondering if there is some mechanical issue I am failing to account for. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hygropunk and Desert Pupfish like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It sounds like you're building a basic sump that just happens to hang on the back of the tank. As long as it doesn't get too large/heavy for the glass the tank is built from I don't see any problem with it. Depending on how much flow you want through it, you could even make it air driven for simplicity.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

In the reef world it's not uncommon to have a "coast to coast" overflow. This is the same concept but of course you want it to flow into the tank instead of out to a sump.

I have never seen anyone do this before. If your goal is to get current going one direction (like a river tank) I think there are easier ways. I imagine your biggest technical challenge is getting the water to actually flow out all across the width. That is a lot of water which means a big pump which means a lot of flow, which tends to not be great for plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Back in the 80ís I made a hang on the back sump with a u tube feeding to water used a maxi jet power head to feed the water back into the tank.

Now they make them.

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/...g-On-Back-Sump
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I initially thought of something different until I read a few of the responses. With my first read I imagined a long box with an input tube on one end and a return on the other, a coast to coast type intake/return didn't occur to me. Reading the other responses has my brain-wheels turning even more than they were yesterday...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I initially thought of something different until I read a few of the responses. With my first read I imagined a long box with an input tube on one end and a return on the other, a coast to coast type intake/return didn't occur to me. Reading the other responses has my brain-wheels turning even more than they were yesterday...
Plus you can plant a coast to coast. I grew 3 foot tall palms and umbrella grass in a 90 gal once...miss that tank (seams went bad)
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

A big huge CPR Aquafuge with a full length of the tank sort of? You may need a really large return pump to get enough flow if you want to keep it turning over quickly, but it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to build. You may even be able to find a large planter box or hydroponics tray that you could set behind the tank, a few inches above the rim of the tank. have a return or two on one end (for safety you want an extra larger one, above the level of the first) and feed water into the other end via a powerhead.

Tags
55 gallon, filter, hydroponic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode