Very compact diy CO2 reactor - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By torhav

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very compact diy CO2 reactor

After 10+ years without a planted tank, I am about to jump back in the game with a 400 L tank.
Back then, I worked part time at the local pet-store, and was able to test a lot of reactors. Both internal and in-line reactors.
The best reactor I could find was this little thing from Sera.

It seems like this is not produced anymore. I fint this a bit strange, as it supplied very good surface area between gas and water, making it extremely efficient for its size.

Some months ago discovered a new infill pattern for 3D-printers called gyroid.

I printed a small sample right away to see if it would work within a reactor. The print was a cylinder with 50 mm (2") diameter and a lenght of 100 mm (4").
This has been tested for some weeks at my local pet-store.
It is placed within a siphon tube in a 1200 L (317 gallon) tank with overflow and sump. Water is supplied by a throttled Aquaclear 50.
I did not have high hopes as it came out half the planned lenght due to printer failure, but was really surprised. The pH fell form 7.8 to 6.7 (3 dKH water) in less than half an hour! It was stopped at 6.7 by the pH-controller.

PVC parts has been ordered to test how compact I can make it for my 400 L tank when it is up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:53 AM
rtm
Algae Grower

I'm interested in this, keep us posted!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by torhav View Post
After 10+ years without a planted tank, I am about to jump back in the game with a 400 L tank.
Back then, I worked part time at the local pet-store, and was able to test a lot of reactors. Both internal and in-line reactors.
The best reactor I could find was this little thing from Sera.

It seems like this is not produced anymore. I fint this a bit strange, as it supplied very good surface area between gas and water, making it extremely efficient for its size.

Some months ago discovered a new infill pattern for 3D-printers called gyroid.

I printed a small sample right away to see if it would work within a reactor. The print was a cylinder with 50 mm (2") diameter and a lenght of 100 mm (4").
This has been tested for some weeks at my local pet-store.
It is placed within a siphon tube in a 1200 L (317 gallon) tank with overflow and sump. Water is supplied by a throttled Aquaclear 50.
I did not have high hopes as it came out half the planned lenght due to printer failure, but was really surprised. The pH fell form 7.8 to 6.7 (3 dKH water) in less than half an hour! It was stopped at 6.7 by the pH-controller.

PVC parts has been ordered to test how compact I can make it for my 400 L tank when it is up and running.
This is pretty interesting, I would love a picture of the setup. I assume this is a tank with co2 being supplied to the siphon tube? Also this tank has a hang on back and a sump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Parts are coming in. Just waiting for some hosetails to arrive. Have parts for two complete units with clear acrylic tubes at the moment. This will be helpful to see the level of CO2 within the reactor and which flow to be used, without releasing microbubbles.

One reactor will be used for my own tank and the other for the tank at the LFS.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode