Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
yes, may want to run 2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any experience. how much yeast/sugar. How often. Can I achieve the 30ppm everyone wants
Can I keep up with my light? I can give anywhere from 54w to 216w with my light

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I would definitely run at least two separate yeast generators with their own diffuser/powerhead. Probably 3. You can use 2 liter bottles or 1 gallon bottles or anything in between. The general recipe for 2 liters is:

2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon activated yeast
Pinch of baking soda

First get hot water, as hot as your tap will get, fill the 2 liter 3/4 full, Dechlorinate the water. Pour in sugar and pinch of baking soda, shake until dissolved then immediately add the yeast while it's still hot, wait 15 min and put the cap on and your good to go.

That's assuming you already know how to hook it all up ofcourse. If you have a canister filter I'd recommend a inline reactor of some sort. Pressurized would be better with an inline diffuser, but you can definitely hit 20-30ppm of co2 with diy

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Planted Member

i have used about the same recipe with a unit made from a one gallon pump garden sprayer. ive run it through canister and also through a small powerhead currently on my sons tank. the trick to maintaining the level of gas is not to wait till it slows down to replace the mix.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
How long is this mixture lasting in a grapejuice bottle?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

i was able to get good production for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks , then lower production for another week. i always changed the mix after 1 1/2 weeks to keep consistancy. that was with regular baking yeast. i tried fast acting yeast once and got tons of gas for e few days then quickly declined. be sure to refridgerate bottles of yeast once oppened.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
One caution: don't put yeast into a bottle of hot water. It kills the yeast. The water should be barely warm to your finger - that helps the yeast get growing.

I started a DIY 3 liter bottle on my 45 gallon tank about a week ago. It is still churning out the same bubble rate. I used 3 cups of sugar, 1 tsp of bread machine yeast, and 1 tsp of baking soda. After a few weeks I will have a better idea about just how practical this is - I do know that I get about 20+ ppm of CO2 in the 45 gallon tank, and only use a simple air stone under the canister filter inlet. I plan to make a Cerges style DIY reactor in the next couple of days and run it in the filter output line.

Hoppy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Definitely not hot water! Warm is what you want. Maybe 100 degrees. A pinch of baking soda keeps mine going two weeks or more. I run two 2 liters on my 55s.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
I am doing the 5 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast setup for two month now, so ghetto, on a 160G tank with 140G actual water volume.
the safety valve of my co2 regulator blow off in Dec, haven't got the replacement yet, so I have to make the DIY co2.
This setup last for 3 weeks, and with inconsistent rate of co2, in the second week BBA appear, shine the light on the fine leaves plants at night I can see BBA everywhere, about 1mm long. Two hours after sunrise(daylight on), BBA are gone--5 happy SAE.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode