3Likes
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter foam

Hello again! Today I'm trying to track down foam to use as a prefilter. I'm building a siphon for a breeder tank and I'd like to keep shrimplets and fry from getting sucked up. Does anybody have a recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

There are a lot of options. Go to amazon, type pre-filter foam and you will find a LOT of options. You should pick one based on the size of the hole you are looking to plug/pipe to cover.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
There are a lot of options. Go to amazon, type pre-filter foam and you will find a LOT of options. You should pick one based on the size of the hole you are looking to plug/pipe to cover.
I've looked around, and most are made for specific filters, and many don't have dimensions listed. I'm looking for something for 2" PVC, OD 2.375". Poret has a 10 PPI foam block at 4" diameter, and it looks like that's my best bet, but it's $50. I'm searching for a cheaper alternative.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats a pretty big pipe to fit over.

You may possibly find some pond pump pre filters that will fit however they usually have a pretty big pore size foam and very new babies can find there way thru it. Your best bet is either buy a block of foam and cut a X or O thru the center of it. This would be the easiest way to go.

Or use a sheet of foam of your choosing, wrap around a piece of spare 2"OD PVC cut to size and glue the edges (silicone would probably work). Once dry you have your pre filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get some small pore Poret foam and cut a square bigger than the pipe . Put it over the end leaving space between the end of the pipe and the foam and rubber band it around pipe . Hope that makes sense....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Get some small pore Poret foam and cut a square bigger than the pipe . Put it over the end leaving space between the end of the pipe and the foam and rubber band it around pipe . Hope that makes sense....lol
Is the 10 ppi too coarse? I was looking at their website earlier. I'd like the flow to be uninterrupted but also safe.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been thinking about what I suggested yesterday and it may not work like I think . I have been playing around with some Poret I have and it doesn't want to fit around a pipe without a lot of excess around it . I think you might be able to trim it to fit better , but I don't want to cut mine to see .I still would try to use the Poret somehow and I would use the 20 or 30 . You can get a 13x13 inch piece for $4.00 plus shipping .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Why are you using such a big pipe size?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Go to Amazon and search for "Matten Filter". You will find a wider, cheaper, variety of foam pads you can use for your setup. Just have to get a little creative on how to attach it to your siphon pipe.
Leeatl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find the Aquaclear brand foam to have lots of good points and it is very handy for me to buy locally to avoid shipping. Two inch may press the sizing but I would look for one and tunnel out a space to fit over the pipe. Not a big fan of shopping to dropping on the cheap stuff I can get locally. The pore size of their media just right for me.
Perhaps consider wedding veil netting as a very cheap and handy option as it is normally fine enough but not stop up too quickly. A dollar gets you a ton of netting.
Leeatl and makeme like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

I 2nd the Aquaclear foam. It's what I use on my guppy/QT tank to keep the fry safe. This is after a week in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_125505.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	888163
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 on Aquaclear foam. The 70s or the 3x50s (with one sideways) fit perfectly in my Deep Blue tanks with Betta dividers.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode