Electric valve - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Electric valve

Does anyone have a recommendation for an electric valve that can run for over a day? Most of the cheap solenoid valves I've seen can go a max 8 hours, but I'm trying to plumb a small RO system to a 50 gallon tank, and it'll need to run at least a day to fill the tank. Anybody have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

Are you running it as ATO or for automated WC system?

I’ve got this. Been very happy. Pretty customizable in how it runs. I use it as a backup to a float valve but check it every so often

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ro-di...n-xp-aqua.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look for ones listed as "continuous duty"
Quote:
Continuous Duty

Continuous duty solenoids are designed for operating conditions in which they are subjected to heavy use. Consequently, they are rated to be used in 100 percent duty cycles, or constant use.
Expensive example..
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...SABEgIis_D_BwE
https://www.parker.com/literature/Li..._VAL-CYC-E.pdf

https://www.solenoidsolutionsinc.com/terminology/

Also I believe class F or H coils are usually continuous duty..

Cheaper..
https://www.zoro.com/asco-solenoid-v...4v/i/G3236055/
Quote:
Solenoid Coils (Non-Electronic*)Except where noted, all ASCO valves are equipped with coils which can be energized continuously without danger of overheating or failure
https://www.asco.com/ASCO%20Asset%20...nformation.pdf

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Are you running it as ATO or for automated WC system?

I’ve got this. Been very happy. Pretty customizable in how it runs. I use it as a backup to a float valve but check it every so often

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ro-di...n-xp-aqua.html
The idea is, I'll keep a 60 gallon barrel in the laundry room full. So I need a system that will refill my barrel and turn off the water to the RO when it's full. This looks perfect! And actually cheaper than anything else I can find.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrober1 View Post
The idea is, I'll keep a 60 gallon barrel in the laundry room full. So I need a system that will refill my barrel and turn off the water to the RO when it's full. This looks perfect! And actually cheaper than anything else I can find.
Not to be paranoid or anything but it doesn't really say continuous duty..and you were estimating running hot for over 24 hours???
Personally, I'd write to the company..

XPAQUA

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
A simple float valve is all that is required. Once it closed RO is off.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I've seen them around, I've just also seen some people saying they're unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Not to be paranoid or anything but it doesn't really say continuous duty..and you were estimating running hot for over 24 hours???
Personally, I'd write to the company..

XPAQUA
Bulk Reef told me it's rated for continuous duty, but I haven't heard back from the manufacturer yet.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-04-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Bulk Reef told me it's rated for continuous duty, but I haven't heard back from the manufacturer yet.

Good info.. thanks..see what the manuf. says.
That said I'm fairly confident some not rated continuous may be continuous..or continuous for awhile ..

6w sealed in plastic w/ all sorts of plastic parts didn't seem like a great idea..

Quote:
RO Solenoid Valve :
  • Power Consumption : 6 W @ 12 VDC

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Thanks Jeff!

I have a very similar application to SDrober1, I fill a 75 gallon container with RO in my garage and need a solenoid valve connected to an optical sensor to keep from over flowing. I had been using the Neptune Apex solenoid which looks just like the one mentioned from Bulk Reef Supply. It worked pretty well for about 6 months and then started leaking a bit. The valve is on the high pressure side of the RO unit and I didn't want to risk a blow out! Just ordered the Parker valve

Appreciate the info

[
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
+1.

I would trust a mechanical float valve more than a solenoid valve.

Simple and they work.
Bettatail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright everyone, looks like the official word is, the Flood Guardian is not recommended for continuous duty. RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Thanks Jeff!

I have a very similar application to SDrober1, I fill a 75 gallon container with RO in my garage and need a solenoid valve connected to an optical sensor to keep from over flowing. I had been using the Neptune Apex solenoid which looks just like the one mentioned from Bulk Reef Supply. It worked pretty well for about 6 months and then started leaking a bit. The valve is on the high pressure side of the RO unit and I didn't want to risk a blow out! Just ordered the Parker valve

Appreciate the info
billb, would you mind sharing how you have your setup wired? And what optical sensors you used?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Alright everyone, looks like the official word is, the Flood Guardian is not recommended for continuous duty.
Sad but not unexpected really..

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sure.

Just a quick comment. I fill my reservoir directly from the RO system and the solenoid is placed upstream of the unit. My expectation is that a float switch would stop the RO from filling the reservior but the waste stream would continue to flow. As you mentioned, it takes hours to fill and i want an unattended solution. If I am missing something - please let me know

I purchased The apex solenoid and their FMM unit (module/) along with their Optical sensor. The original solenoid was a 24v unit that was powered by the module and the Apex made it fairly seamless to shut down the valve when the water reached the sensor. My problem was that he solenoid valve didn't seem to fully close after about 6 months.

The new valve will still be able to use the same optical sensor but will now control an outlet in the Apex energy bar. The Parker valve is 120 volts. Bulk Reef supply does sell a 120v outlet controlled by an optical sensor which should work too

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart...-autoaqua.html

[

Last edited by billb; 10-04-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Sure.

Check your messages..

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
+1.

I would trust a mechanical float valve more than a solenoid valve.

Simple and they work.
+1
If a solenoid valve involved, there is another step to decide when to open and close the circuit. A simple float valve will achieve the purpose in one step.

Quote:
I've seen them around, I've just also seen some people saying they're unreliable.
Put two cheap float valves inline, or three...., If there is one fail you have another or others to stop the water flow, float valve only about $4 a piece.

Some reefer diy auto shutoff with toilet flush valve, it is another option if you want to give it a try, a flush valve is float valve too.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 10-05-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode