Show me your DIY light fixture stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Show me your DIY light fixture stand

am going to be building a DIY stand to hang my lights, can anyone show me pictures of their stands.

i can only buy stuff from homedepot or lowes for this project and please suggest which part to get.

thanks

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
bent EMT piping is great and will cost you less than $10 when you include the brackets. throw on some spray paint and you've got a slick looking stand. i'll try to find some pics to post of mine later. i've got an AHS kit hanging from a DIY EMT piping stand that looks pretty slick.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
bent EMT piping is great and will cost you less than $10 when you include the brackets. throw on some spray paint and you've got a slick looking stand. i'll try to find some pics to post of mine later. i've got an AHS kit hanging from a DIY EMT piping stand that looks pretty slick.

thanks, but pictures would be nice.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

there ya go

light height is adjustable via chain length and the entire arm pivots in the brackets to swing out of the way for tank maintenance.

Last edited by mcubed45; 03-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Algae Grower

Wood stand

Hey I just built this for my 10gal and the light you have there, assuming its the 36watt from AH.

Materials were one 1"x6"x8' and paint, less than 6 bucks if you get the cheap paint .

You can build the same thing without the jointery and use nails.

Want more details?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

looking good, i went to home depot and could not find anything simple to use, maybe i might have to delay this project for while, until i figure out how and what i should use to make this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

What size tank are you going to light?

I'm going two different ways on a DIY. I have two 8" clamp on light fixtures to use with spiral CFL bulbs that going to be used to construct a simple fixture for a 20 gallon long. I'm going to build a hood for a 75 gallon using a 3-4 bulb T8 ballast.

No pictures, these are plans. Doing construction on the 75 gallon stand right now, with it's DIY hood to follow.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

I am in the process of posting up a DIY guide for a light stand that I have just completed for my 33 gallon. A little different than the ADA style like above. I used two lengths of 5/8" tubing. Stay tuned... should be posted up in the next couple hours.

33 Gallon Community Tank, 9 Rummynose Tetras, 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Juvenile German Blue Rams (waiting for them to pair off before removing some), 3 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Clown Pleco. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus), Watersprite (ceratopteris thalictroides), Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana gigantea)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
there ya go

light height is adjustable via chain length and the entire arm pivots in the brackets to swing out of the way for tank maintenance.

that looks nice. i need to do something for my 20 long rimless. i was thinking something like that. how did you bend the pipes?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Here is the one I'm building for my 20l. Sorry for the poor quality cell pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0047.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	28372

There are 3 sockets for the dome clamp on work lights. I didn't care for the clamp so the box is holding them and my wiring. I painted the dome reflectors black they were wet thats why they aren't included in the pic.

The metal frame hanging below the box with house a bunch of 5mm LED's for moon/accent lights...

To bend the conduit I rented a bender from my local hardware store. $7 for a day, $25 was the cheapest I found for purchase. Maybe some stores will bend it for you?

It's still a work in progress. Should be able to get it wrapped up next week. I'll get some better photos.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

Just finished up my DIY guide for the stand I completed on my 33 gallon. See the guide here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-aquarium.html

33 Gallon Community Tank, 9 Rummynose Tetras, 5 Neon Tetras, 5 Juvenile German Blue Rams (waiting for them to pair off before removing some), 3 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Clown Pleco. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus), Watersprite (ceratopteris thalictroides), Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana gigantea)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
that looks nice. i need to do something for my 20 long rimless. i was thinking something like that. how did you bend the pipes?
pipe bender from Home Depot

you can either bend it in the store. or buy it and return. :p

basically free.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
you mean they will bend it for you?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
you mean they will bend it for you?
Not likely...

What would Honey Badger do?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in