• 2 Post By Fat Guy
  • 1 Post By Fat Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fat Guy's DIY Acrylic Risers for LED Strip

Dear Me,

I went to Plastic Depot in Burbank yesterday and had some acrylic rectangles cut at 3/8". I then glued them together and made custom risers for my BeamWorks LED light to raise the light higher from the water's surface. I feel like these LEDs are great and even though I have a dimmer for the light I still find it to be too intense and not evenly distributed. So I raised it about 5" total off of the water which opens the tank up more and disperses the light better. Super happy with the outcome. It's not the sleekest DIY however, it wasn't that expensive to modify considering how cheap this light was. I spent about $30 on materials (almost the price of the light to do this) but am satisfied with the outcome.

The cut materials:

Lining them up, gluing them and setting them. Acrylic glue is no joke.

Installed on the tank:

If I could do the DIY again it would be to practice getting the air bubbles out of the acrylic pieces when they are sandwiched together. I was short on time but the pieces all trued up and support the light extremely well. I thought about putting shelving brackets in first and then having the light rest over the tank. But I think the outcome of this looks cleaner and I didn't have to put any holes in the wall.

Thanks for looking.

Mas Later, -el g
deeda and Econde like this.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good, I gotta do something similar one of these days.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Man I thought of something like this before. It's nice to see a final product. Nice work!

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Thanks! It has made a huge improvement on the light distribution. Very glad I made them.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Thanks!! I'm super glad that I made these.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Square extruded rod would work better for center piece, actually has a slight concave on side for glue channel.

As you found out itís almost impossible to sandwich flat pieces and not get bubbles.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

well to get no air bubbles you need weld on 4 glue
hut that turned out great and affordable
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Square extruded rod would work better for center piece, actually has a slight concave on side for glue channel.

As you found out itís almost impossible to sandwich flat pieces and not get bubbles.

Totally! That was actually my original plan was to do this with square rods, but all in all I'm happy I went in this direction. I think though that using the square rods would've been cheaper. A store around here sells 3/4" ones at $1.15 a foot. The air bubbles don't bother me as I thought they would. They almost look intentional and give a sort of wet look. The best part so far is the spread of light. It really has made a difference with plant growth and algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1166 View Post
well to get no air bubbles you need weld on 4 glue
hut that turned out great and affordable
Thanks! I'm happy how it turned out too. First time working with this kind of glue/diy project. Much appreciated

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ended up changing my led setup to the Fluval 3.0. These risers that I made do wonders for the light on my tank because the fluval 3.0 is built to sit directly on top of the tank or suspended from a bracket above. For the longest time I was debating spending more and getting a twinstar or chihiros because of the riser setup. Extremely happy with the how the risers allow me use the Fluval light to its full potential without sacrificing aesthetics...plus saving money going DIY

JJJessee likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode