DIY CO2 Production With Beer Fermenting Off Gas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Production With Beer Fermenting Off Gas

So, I've got this crazy idea. Couldn't I use the CO2 released from the fermentation of beer to CO2 Dose a planted aquarium. I have a 20 gallon long, that I've been thinking of doing a low tech iwagumi el natural tank with a beta, a small group of (3) pencil fish and a small shoal (5) of neon tetras, and have some shrimp (4 or 5) in the bottom as well, most likely crystal red shrimp. The way I imagine it going down is this, I have to keep a near constant production of beer to try to keep things mostly stable regarding adding CO2. I'm looking at an El Natural approach (potting soil and Sand for the substrate), with a dsm for some HC and Dwarf Hair Grass. When I flood the tank, I can boost up CO2 with the CO2 from the keggerator, until the plants acclimate and can live on the fermentation CO2.

Questions -

Does anyone see any issue with the CO2 released from beer fermentation opposed to other DIY CO2 methods?

Any Issues with the fish pairing? Fish and shrimp combination?

What would be the minimal amount of light I would need? I'm looking to put this in a window that gets some light, just not a lot of direct light except in the afternoon during the summer.

Lastly, is this thought completely insane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It is highly variable and doesn't last very long.... SO I wouldn't do it.

I just brewed a Black Lager today.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It would be easier to just split the co2 from the kegerator setup and use pressurized all the time. But in very low light you shouldn't need co2(though DIRECT sunlight of any amount usually causes problems... and heats up little tanks FAST).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think we need to change our paradigm (I've waited years for a chance to use that word!) Instead of viewing CO2 as something to be used when it is necessary, like with high light, we should view CO2 just as we do other nutrients. The plants need to bave access to all of the nutrients they need to grow at whatever rate the light is making them grow. CO2 is just one of those nutrients, but the most needed by the plants, and needed in greater quantities than the other nutrients. If we use DIY CO2 for low light tanks, until we get bored with making yeast sugar solutions, and pressurized CO2 for higher light tanks, or to avoid the task of making yeast sugar solutions, as a regular practice, we will all enjoy our planted tanks a lot more. We fertilize even low light tanks if we want some flexibility in what plants we can grow, so why not treat CO2 the same way?

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Agreed, Hoppy. It seems like in medium/high light tanks, light has to be the limiting factor to prevent algae. But in low-light tanks, CO2 is often the limiting factor instead, without causing algae growth. So maybe the requirements for CO2 are relaxed in this case. If 5-10ppm is acceptable and beneficial, and there's no need for stability, that would make DIY CO2 supplementation in even fairly large low-light tanks very easy. I just started playing with this in my 25G, I'm working towards increased plant growth and still no algae with a single DIY 2L for at least a month at a time; and later using CO2 levels to control growth rate instead of light.

Back to aquarium ale. I would suggest a gas separator (oversized bubble counter) to help keep anything that isn't CO2 out of the tank. And if you have any interest in wine, it would probably be a much better CO2 source - lots more sugar.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Agreed that low light should not necessarily need CO2, but would there be ill affects to adding it sporadically? I think maybe the post was taken too seriously. To some extent, I'd like to just say that the concept is in practice, whether or not the practice is overwhelmingly beneficial is non-consequential. If there is any benefit at all, it would be a success. If regular CO2 supplementing is necessary, then I can go to other options in accordance with this, DIY sugar solutions or compressed CO2. Plus if the tank has enough fauna, the CO2 will have a constant delivery system right there. Besides, I already have an artist friend of mine working on the labels for the beer bottles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Please tell me it's an aquarium themed label. That would be too funny.

There is a lot of importance placed on CO2 lately, and therefore debate; so sometimes we get a little serious about stuff like this. Don't take our seriousness too seriously.

I don't think anyone can definitively tell you what the result will be. As long as you're willing to experiment, I encourage you; and please let us know the results, both aquatic and alcoholic.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

It is indeed a fish themed label.. We are working on Puns for titles and are open for suggestions. Not too fish geeky though ordinary people will be drinking the beer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode