Water going into co2 line? can someone help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Water going into co2 line? can someone help?

Hi, I just set up DIY co2 today and it worked fine until I changed my diffusion method.

I had the co2 line connected to an air stone under my filter intake but the co2 bubbles were only getting sucked up by the filter less than 1/2 the time and the rest of the bubbles were just floating to the surface...I was getting a steady stream of co2 but more than half was being wasted.

So, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the filter intake, took the air stone off and stuck the tubing about 2" up the intake.

Now water has gone about 6" up the tube and about every 15 minutes the co2 builds enough pressure to blow the water out and a blast of co2 goes into the filter and micro bubbles fill the tank. Then the water goes right back into the tube and the cycle repeats.

How do I fix this? Do I even need to fix it? or is it fine?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I don't quite understand the question, but I think you need to get a check valve, they are very cheap; you can get one at petsmart for like 1.50

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
I don't quite understand the question, but I think you need to get a check valve, they are very cheap; you can get one at petsmart for like 1.50
Oh I'm sorry. My question was how to stop water going up the co2 line OR do i even need to stop it because what is happening is ok?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yep, that's normal for that arrangement.

Filters usually do a better job of diffusing when they only have a bubble or two at a time to contend with, though your results may vary. CO2 microbubbles are good if they land on plants and get well-distributed, not so good if most reach the top of the water.

What I usually do now is instead of cutting the airline straight across, I cut it at a angle, so the end is 0.5"-0.75" long. Then I use zip ties to hold the angled part against the outside slots of the intake. No drilling required. All the CO2 goes in, and only a bubble or two at a time.

I used the end cap from a cheapo Bic pen and a little hot glue to plug the old hole.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Yep, that's normal for that arrangement
So is there a need for me to change this? Is the co2 being released in strong bursts every 15 mins ok? or safe? or whatever? Can I just let it be and it will be fine?

Quote:
Filters usually do a better job of diffusing when they only have a bubble or two at a time to contend with, though your results may vary. CO2 microbubbles are good if they land on plants and get well-distributed, not so good if most reach the top of the water.

What I usually do now is instead of cutting the airline straight across, I cut it at a angle, so the end is 0.5"-0.75" long. Then I use zip ties to hold the angled part against the outside slots of the intake. No drilling required. All the CO2 goes in, and only a bubble or two at a time.

I used the end cap from a cheapo Bic pen and a little hot glue to plug the old hole.
So the difference is that your co2 line is facing downwards against the intake and mine is facing straight up inside the intake? So if I move the line to the side of the intake the water "backwashing" should stop?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Exactly.

If the airline is going up (or to a lesser degree sideways), when the CO2 reaches the end of the line, the first bubble that comes out sets up a chain reaction, where the suction of the filter draws more out. The longer the portion of the airline going up, the worse it is.

If the airline is always going down, that doesn't happen. The angled cut just directs the bubbles into the intake, otherwise the filter might not draw them all in.

There's probably other ways of accomplishing the same thing as well, this is just how I do it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Exactly.

If the airline is going up (or to a lesser degree sideways), when the CO2 reaches the end of the line, the first bubble that comes out sets up a chain reaction, where the suction of the filter draws more out. The longer the portion of the airline going up, the worse it is.

If the airline is always going down, that doesn't happen. The angled cut just directs the bubbles into the intake, otherwise the filter might not draw them all in.

There's probably other ways of accomplishing the same thing as well, this is just how I do it.
y thank u good sir

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use to have a diy co2 attached direct to a dedicated power head. Which worked fine until one day the bottle imploded and the mixture got into the aquarium.

I'm just guessing but the pressure within your pump might be too high. So the gas can't move until it build enough where it tips over from pressure to suction. This creates a short runaway suction effect that sucks directly from the bottle. When pressure in the co2 kit is low enough the inside of the pump will tip back to pressure. Remember that your pump motor has pressure and suction zones (low and high pressure zones). Either way this method causes a lot of unpredictable behaviour.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode