Paintball co2 tank setup question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paintball co2 tank setup question

So i have teflon tape, and a 20 0z co2 tank. What else do i need? what is a good regulator ? I want to spend less than $100 on the whole set up and i will buy one of the $5.00 bubble counters.

I have
-20 oz co2 paintball tank
-teflon tape
-bubble counter

What more do I need ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
ASA on/off valve, and needle valve. And Co2 tubing and a diffuser

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianizaguirre View Post
So i have teflon tape, and a 20 0z co2 tank. What else do i need? what is a good regulator ? I want to spend less than $100 on the whole set up and i will buy one of the $5.00 bubble counters.

I have
-20 oz co2 paintball tank
-teflon tape
-bubble counter

What more do I need ?
You will need some sort of a Needle Valve. This is used on one of the thread opening of the ASA On/Off Valve.

What is a ASA On/Off Valve?

It's a Twist on Valve, that twist directly onto the Paintball Co2 Tank's Thread. Once it's twisted on, by twisting the top knob on the ASA On/Off Valve, it will depress a pin that then depress another pin that's on the Paintball Co2 Tank which will open up a "Pin Valve" and release Co2 gas from the paintball Co2 Tank upwards/outwards through the ASA On/Off Valve.

If the ASA On/Off Valve thread is left open, you will have a massive amount of Co2 gas just shoots out like crazy. This is where a Needle Valve is used. Teflon tape the Needle Valve and screw it in. Keep the Needle Valve closed. This will hold back the Co2 gas from leaving until you fine tune the Needle Valve to a open position so the Co2 gas can escape from there.

One end of the Needle Valve will be 1/8'' or it won't thread onto the ASA On/off Valve. Because ALL ASA On/Off Valve are 1/8'' threaded openings. That being said, you will need a 1/8'' Needle Valve.

The other end of the Needle Valve can be 1/8'' or 1/4''. Both will work. If it's 1/8'' Output, you can use the same size air line tubing to make it work. Make sure it's Co2 gas rated. If it's a 1/4'' Output, you will need a slightly bigger Co2 tubing. Homedepot sells the 1/4'' Co2 Tubing 10 feet for $2.14.

It's a pretty simple setup once you get all the parts needed.

Here is what you need.

-Paintball Co2 tank
-ASA On/Off Valve 1 thread or 2 thread doesn't matter.
-1/8'' Input Needle Valve with 1/4'' output or 1/8'' output.
-Teflon Tape
-Co2 rated tubing
-Check Valve (Optional)
-Drop Checker (Optional)
-Bubble Counter (Optional)
-A way to diffuse the Co2 gas. You can use a Ceramic Glass Diffuser, Hang on filter, Power head, Canister filter, Reactor, Chop stick.. so fort.

Regulator and Solenoid is not needed, the setup will still work without it. A Regulator and Solenoid will be difficult to make it function together, I am currently experimenting it. On the other hand, it works fine without a Regulator or Solenoid.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
You will need some sort of a Needle Valve. This is used on one of the thread opening of the ASA On/Off Valve.

What is a ASA On/Off Valve?

It's a Twist on Valve, that twist directly onto the Paintball Co2 Tank's Thread. Once it's twisted on, by twisting the top knob on the ASA On/Off Valve, it will depress a pin that then depress another pin that's on the Paintball Co2 Tank which will open up a "Pin Valve" and release Co2 gas from the paintball Co2 Tank upwards/outwards through the ASA On/Off Valve.

If the ASA On/Off Valve thread is left open, you will have a massive amount of Co2 gas just shoots out like crazy. This is where a Needle Valve is used. Teflon tape the Needle Valve and screw it in. Keep the Needle Valve closed. This will hold back the Co2 gas from leaving until you fine tune the Needle Valve to a open position so the Co2 gas can escape from there.

One end of the Needle Valve will be 1/8'' or it won't thread onto the ASA On/off Valve. Because ALL ASA On/Off Valve are 1/8'' threaded openings. That being said, you will need a 1/8'' Needle Valve.

The other end of the Needle Valve can be 1/8'' or 1/4''. Both will work. If it's 1/8'' Output, you can use the same size air line tubing to make it work. Make sure it's Co2 gas rated. If it's a 1/4'' Output, you will need a slightly bigger Co2 tubing. Homedepot sells the 1/4'' Co2 Tubing 10 feet for $2.14.

It's a pretty simple setup once you get all the parts needed.

Here is what you need.

-Paintball Co2 tank
-Teflon Tape
-Co2 rated tubing
-Check Valve (Optional)
-Drop Checker (Optional)
-Bubble Counter (Optional)
-A way to diffuse the Co2 gas. You can use a Ceramic Glass Diffuser, Hang on filter, Power head, Canister filter, Reactor, Chop stick.. so fort.

Regulator and Solenoid is not needed, the setup will still work without it. A Regulator and Solenoid will be difficult to make it function together, I am currently experimenting it. On the other hand, it works fine without a Regulator or Solenoid.
Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!

Do you recommend any store online where i can get the
for a good price?

And what does a check valve and drop checker do?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

There's a ton of ASA On/Off Valve all over the internet. I can't recommend any, as to I don't know your budget and so fort.

I recommend CP and ST brand ASA On/Off Valve but let's be real, you're not going to spend $40-$60 dollars on just a ASA On/Off Valve. If you did, you wouldn't have gone this route.

So choosing a ASA On/Off Valve is all up to you. There are many to chose from, I personally see things in person and make my decision there and then.

Needle Valve is for you to experiment. A few people are using the Swagelok Brand Needle Valve.

A Check Valve is a safety device that is plug in the path of your output pressure. If install right, it doesn't let water from your fish tank siphon backward.

A drop checker is used to measure co2 gas content in your tank.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Please see Jagged's for sale thread in the SwapNShop. He has all that you will need besides the drop checker, check valve and the paintball tank.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGreen08 View Post
Please see Jagged's for sale thread in the SwapNShop. He has all that you will need besides the drop checker, check valve and the paintball tank.
+1 for Jagged. He sells everything you need in a package except the actual co2 tank for a very good price!

Daniel

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
So I'm thinking of doing this. I found 24oz paintball co2 tanks on craigslist for 6 bucks each. I have a 90 gal tank, will I be ok with just one tank? Also how long will 24 oz tank last and how much do they cost to fill?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you want to try this out, make sure the used Paintball Co2 tank you're buying off Craigslist is still within the Hydro Date. Every Paintball Co2 tank will be stamped with a Hydro date, it is good for 5 years. If that date exceeds the 5 years mark already, you might be buying a junk Paintball Co2 tank that will no longer can be re-fill anywhere. However, Local Paintball stores will buy your Paintball Co2 tank for less than $4 dollars and substrate it off a New Paintball Co2 tank that you're buy from their store.

Anyhow, a 24oz tank at 1bps will last 5-6 months. Depending on your 90gallon tank and what types of plants and lighting you're providing, will determine how many bps of co2 gas you want to inject into your tank. Typical refill for a 24oz Paintball Co2 tank is less than $5 dollars. $4.20 - $4.80 is what you're looking at to refill a 24oz Paintball Co2 tank, but keep in mind places will varies.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

Wow thank you! That was great info. I just asked and he wasn't sure of the date cause he's not at home but he said he bought em new 3 years ago. So I figure if I buy both I can get 4 years worth for $12. Not too shabby in my opinion
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Great. If it was bought 3 years ago, you will have 2 years until the Hydro Date is nearby for retesting. If it fails retesting, the tank will be "Junk". When buying used PB tank, also keep in mind that the "Pin Valve" O ring seal can be old and can leak. It's cents to replace. Just a precaution when purchasing used Paintball Co2 Tank. Just wanted to state that incase you didn't know. But go for it. Seems like a awesome price.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

Ok good to know! Thanks. So with paintball co2 set ups, do you just leave them on 24/7 since there no solenoid?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can leave it on 24/7. You can turn it off anytime you want, and turn it back on. You can experiment with a Solenoid.

Many options. I leaves mines on 24/7 with tank that has shrimps and fish and plants. Seems fine and it's been running for months.

She winks, Let's dance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode