Need help with stand design - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Need help with stand design

This is a question for those of you who are good at designing things. I have a 55 and a 40b that I would like to have on one stand. My question is, can it be reasonably done given the dimensional differences of tank width? Or should I just build two stands?

RAOK Club #55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I guess this would depend on what you mean by "reasonable". It really wouldn't be too difficult to build a stacked stand for them, though you would need to make sure it was in a location that could handle the weight of essentially a 100 gallon aquarium.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As mentioned, all kinds of things change as we get into what we each call "reasonable"! For some the viewing of both tanks is not good, For others it will be the difficulty of working when two are stacked. If they are on the same stand one is going to be prone to being too high while the other is too low, so we all have to make decisions on those aspects balanced against floor space available. The weight is not often a real problem as tanks are often larger than the combined weight involved here.
For design, about the only thing required to set the second under the larger is to add upright solid wood support at the corners of the smaller.
Perhaps centered under the upper or it might be nice to have it offset to one side, leaving a bit of space for a door on the other end?
Lots of personal choices balanced against what work we can each do in the way of experience and tools/workspace, etc. The work is simple but the decisions can be hard!!
I have floor space and would go for stacking and extend the stand long enough to fit two canisters and equipment in one compartment at the end but I also don't like to fight for space to work in the tanks, so almost always use separate stands, rather than dealing with ladders/stools for cleaning. .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I actually assumed you would want them side by side not stacked. Either is very possible. I assume you are building these stands yourself? What is your background building things and the tools available? This will change how you build the stands. Do you prefer them side by side or stacked? Will these be rimless tanks or rimmed tanks?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Actually I figured stacked. My issue is one is 12" wide and the other is 18". I just was not sure how to figure that into one stand with tanks stacked. Both are rimmed.

RAOK Club #55
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Review some basic ideas of stand building as a start to make sure we are all talking the same?
One big idea is that wood standing on end is terribly strong and can support any amount of weight we are likely to put on it IF it is not allowed to bow or warp. Second is the idea that we should place the weight directly supported by solid wood, not wood supported by fasteners from the side.
A stacked stand is much like a single on those points and we can just use longer wood for the corners and then support any second tank by adding uprights to hold up that second tank. One narrow, one wider is not a problem as long as we run a horizontal across under the ends and support that horizontal with wood from below.
I keep it simple and use the same design on most all stands. I find good 2X4 to be the best choice for framing as it is easy to find in good quality at a fair price and is also available without searching, too much.
I like to lay the 2X on the wide side, join the ends with a 45 miter and then build two (top and bottom) the same as the footprint of the larger tank. I tie those together with corners made of two 2X4 glued/screwed together to form an angle fitting under the top/ bottom layers so that the joint crosses over the solid wood below.
Then to get a second layer, smaller in size, I just do the same for the second shelf but make it wide enough to attach to the bottom and under the end of the second tank. Work in storage to the side and skin with whatever the chosen outside layer and trim.
Crude drawing?
Attached Images

reddhawkk likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode