DIY canister filter IMPELLERS? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY canister filter IMPELLERS?

My impeller on my Eheim 2217 just broke. Is there a way to make one myself? It is literally just a small plastic rod.

Has anyone done this before? It is such a pain in the ass to buy this every few years and now the ONLY petstore in my city that supplies it stopped stocking it so I have to buy it online for $30! For a freaking plastic stick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you saying just the shaft broke? Because that's cheaper then the entire impeller at around 19$

https://www.amazon.com/Shaft-Bushing...pcontext&psc=1

/shrug if you have calipers you can take a precise measurement and then turn down an appropriate piece of stock material on a machinist lathe.

Or you could buy the plastic stick online.

Or you can ditch the canister filter for a diy sump.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Are you saying just the shaft broke? Because that's cheaper then the entire impeller at around 19$

https://www.amazon.com/Shaft-Bushing...pcontext&psc=1

/shrug if you have calipers you can take a precise measurement and then turn down an appropriate piece of stock material on a machinist lathe.

Or you could buy the plastic stick online.

Or you can ditch the canister filter for a diy sump.
Yeah just the shaft. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and it is costing me a fortune for express delivery. I still ordered it, oh well.

My main tank uses a DIY sump, this canister filter is just for my spare tank that I didn't want to go to waste lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--UN--

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Shafts are ceramic AFAICT.. not plastic..

Quote:
The Eheim 2217 ceramic impeller shaft is 0.117 diameter x 3.4375 long. The diameter was measure with a micrometer and the length with a rigid steel ruler.
roughly 3mm x 87.3mm long

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-meter-...d-3mm-dia.html
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...yABEgIRy_D_BwE
deeda likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
OH [censored][censored][censored][censored] THANK YOU

--UN--
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by united natures View Post
OH [censored][censored][censored][censored] THANK YOU

BIG OPPS.. Probably shouldn't use anything magnetic..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
BIG OPPS.. Probably shouldn't use anything magnetic..
Hmm, in theory it would still work right?

--UN--
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are often hidden hazards when subbing in other items for the shaft. The shaft and impeller are pretty precise items and if we get even slightly out of round or less than exact size, the impeller tends to wobble. This wobble may first only show as increased noise but over a short time we may find that the wobble is also letting the impeller bang around so that the inside of the plastic becomes more and more misshapen and noisy. So it may save us a few bucks on buying a new shaft, only to cost us a month or so later for a new shaft AND impeller. I normally just choke up and replace both at the same time to avoid having a slightly bad one ruin the other good one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
There are often hidden hazards when subbing in other items for the shaft. The shaft and impeller are pretty precise items and if we get even slightly out of round or less than exact size, the impeller tends to wobble. This wobble may first only show as increased noise but over a short time we may find that the wobble is also letting the impeller bang around so that the inside of the plastic becomes more and more misshapen and noisy. So it may save us a few bucks on buying a new shaft, only to cost us a month or so later for a new shaft AND impeller. I normally just choke up and replace both at the same time to avoid having a slightly bad one ruin the other good one.
Yes that is something to consider... Seems like the shaft is purposely designed as a fail-safe so that it breaks first. I just hate spending money, especially when the cost of the shafts are starting to exceed the cost of the filter!

CRAZY thing, when replacing the shaft I found cherry shrimp living in the Eheim filter! That really shocked me for a sec. I was about to dump them down the drain!

--UN--
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
shaft design is one of those things that take a second look at times. Using plastic is cheap but not very long. Metal is semi-long- if no grit from sand gets into the space between the impeller and shaft as metal is really quick to score down to useless. So ceramic?
It's super tough but super brittle! So we can get lots of service out of ceramic but we also have to learn how to handle it as dropping it is a real killer and just jerking it out to put torgue on it is also a death blow. I put a towel down and hold the unit close before removing the impeller shaft as it tends to last a long time ---if I don't break it!
Part of my move to Sunsun is the cost of replacement parts! They use ceramic shafts but replacements are about a third of the cost of Eheim.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
shaft design is one of those things that take a second look at times. Using plastic is cheap but not very long. Metal is semi-long- if no grit from sand gets into the space between the impeller and shaft as metal is really quick to score down to useless. So ceramic?
It's super tough but super brittle! So we can get lots of service out of ceramic but we also have to learn how to handle it as dropping it is a real killer and just jerking it out to put torgue on it is also a death blow. I put a towel down and hold the unit close before removing the impeller shaft as it tends to last a long time ---if I don't break it!
Part of my move to Sunsun is the cost of replacement parts! They use ceramic shafts but replacements are about a third of the cost of Eheim.
I am tempted to move away from Eheim completely. Maybe I will just setup a overflow filter....

--UN--
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1pcs Zirconium Oxide Ceramic Rod Diameter 3.0mm,length 60mm U6s-3
$14.81
+$3.99 shipping. No tax

Not sure how you cut it..but diamond wheel w/ lubricant makes sense.. Stuffs hard..
Cutting Ceramic Rods - Reef Central Online Community

Quote:
Second that. I have cut quite a lot of alumina, almost always with a wet saw. The few times I didn't I wished I had.
10 ss shafts.. $6.46...ss is used in a lot of other filters.
https://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Stainle...ZMZNSGED6HQF02

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode