Regulating co2 from yeast (wine/beer) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
Regulating co2 from yeast (wine/beer)

Well waking up to a tank pH of 4 having killed off a dozen nice Moscow blues (Rams and Cory's survived at least). New yeast was apparently a little more vigorous than the old...

I believe it's time to make changes.

Regulating flow from a yeast based co2 we know to be pretty problematic. Good way to paint the walls with must.

I'd really like to be able to use the wine carboys that generally are located right beside the aquarium to feed the co2 needs. I just know they produce way more than my 29g could ever need.

I was thinking lowtech with a simple needle valve, but I do have a 5v solenoid here for gas control that I'd grabbed in case I found a smoking deal on a pressurized co2 system - and most of the parts to build an Arduino controller.

I was thinking about it this morning, and hoping to tap some of the more knowledgeable brains around here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LK250LG_1__84769_1562104457025.1478552070.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	883645

What I'm contemplating is using the typical older style Brewers airlock as a pressure regulator & accumulator for lack of a better term.

The weight of the cap and water level would create a minimal amount of pressure. Take feed from either the lid or come up from the bottom to feed the co2 to the tank.

I'm guessing I'd want much more significant size than the typical wine making ones to allow volume to be available for the aquarium... excess as always just bubbles under and gets dispersed.

Think I'm barking up the right tree on this one or am I just setting up for failure?

I do have 3d printers, it's dialed in for water tight projects - so not a particularly challenging project.

Wondering if anyone else has some genius ideas to accomplish the same?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy L

Man created planted tanks - God created Algae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm not sure about the rest of your plan to regulate the flow/dispersal, but I would use the solenoid kind of backwards. Instead of trying to stop the flow with it, I would use it in a T that's open and have it set to open when you don't want flow. That way you don't run the risk of over pressurizing the system while it's not going in the tank. You don't really stop the flow, you just redirect it to nowhere. Basically a timed relief valve on the system.

I'm reading the above and it makes sense to me, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to clarify.

Instead of the airlock, I would run it to a separator, then to the solenoid T, then into whatever you are diffusing with. Then you have to figure out the duration time you need to have the solenoid off (closed) to allow time for the pressure to build and diffuse the needed amount of co2. After that period, you turn on the solenoid which blows off the pressure, preventing it from diffusing into the tank. The separator will still give you the same function as your airlock.

Last edited by Bandit1200; 07-03-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: another idea
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
I thought about that, but using the t to diffuse - risks that good old wall covered in must. (Yeah I'll have to think about filtering in there somewhere)

Why I'm thinking this works is the airlock operates as it always does. That remains unchanged - volume/pressure until spillover to diffuse excess. I'm just giving the co2 an alternative path in to travel that's at a lower resistance (when the valves open anyway) I'll see if I can CAD it up tonight.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
I thought about that, but using the t to diffuse - risks that good old wall covered in must.

That's why the T is just open to ambient when you don't want co2 flow into the aquarium. There's no pressure to blow anything out. It vents just like it would normallly. If set up correctly, nothing should get past the seperator chamber to blow out anywhere.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode