2Likes
  • 2 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question DIY Stand for 29G

HI
I bought a DIY stand for a 29G which I think needs some reinforcement. Anybody got some drawn up plans of a DIY stand?

Mine looks like this
Attached Images

Last edited by Hilde; 06-15-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: changed picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So are you wanting to create a completely new stand or reinforce the one you've currently got?
The stand in the diagram looks pretty solid but if you wanted to add additional support you could add 2 parallel pieces around each B column (so 8 new pieces total), 1 piece with its ends overlapping the A/D pieces running top the bottom and the other piece overlapping the C/D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Captain

Honestly, what you have is more than sufficient to support the weight of the 29 gallon tank. If I did anything, it would be to add a sheet of 1/8" material to the back of the stand to give it some additional strength in case someone bumped into the stand (side load).

Assuming the stand was built with 2x4's even the cheapest grade of wood will still yield over 2,000 pounds of compressive strength for a single 36" tall (long) column.
https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch...7.1/index.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Honestly, what you have is more than sufficient to support the weight of the 29 gallon tank.
I don't feel it is for the boards lengthwise (A) are just nailed to the boards going width-wise. I think the all boards which the aquarium sits on should have another vertical board under it.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
So are you wanting to create a completely new stand or reinforce the one you've currently got?
The stand in the diagram looks pretty solid but if you wanted to add additional support you could add 2 parallel pieces around each B column (so 8 new pieces total), 1 piece with its ends overlapping the A/D pieces running top the bottom and the other piece overlapping the C/D
I want to reinforce the stand for I feel boards A on top need support.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've made a lot of 2x4 stands, and the basic blueprint has yet to fail me. The one I used had the frame inside of the legs, but I doubt it would matter on 300ish gallons either way. I've got one here with a 29 on it and will snap a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	883067  

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

I want to reinforce the stand for I feel boards A on top need support.
I'm assuming this is a rimmed aquarium? Unless you are running a rimless, boards A should be carrying zero load on them. All weight will be in the corners distributed downwards onto boards B. That design is incredibly overbuilt and could support a 37 without issue

If running a rimless, it's still a perfectly fine design, and should just have a sheet of plywood across the top. If you go thinner than 3/4" ply, I'd put a horizontal support in the middle to prevent a dip at the center.

For reference, I built this stand for my 29 out of 3/4" laminated MDF - standard cabinet you'd make for vanities, kitchens, etc. This doesn't even come close to 2x4 construction
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do not find the center of boards needs support at all IF they are even somewhat good boards and they are not allowed to twist. On a reasonably short length like 29, there is little to worry but if I were adding anything it might be a 2X4 added horizontal between the top side boards as a way to assure neither of those could twist as it fully dried.
Part of this is based on using the old wrought iron stands for 55 gallon tanks where the side were reasonable weak horizontal iron iron and we could often push down and see the iron bow. This bowing showed me that the center of the horizontals was not supporting any weight at all but only keep i the ends from moving while they held the weight.
College dorm rooms can often be found with tanks on cement blocks with 2X laid between to hold the blocks stacked at each end. A tank is quite like a "C" channel or railroad bridge where they support the ends but not the middle and they don't bow down at all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode