Tank stand under coffee table?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank stand under coffee table??

Hey guys,

So i just got this gorgeous coffee table for free about a month ago and it is huge, with a removable glass top. It has been itching at me ever since and i would love to have a top view tank underneath it! I’m not sure if it’s possible though, as the legs curve inwards and i would like the tank rim to not be visible. (I want it to be wider than the glass top)

I have attached some pictures with a stand idea, where the stand would support all 4 sides but not the corners, as the table legs are annoyingly in the way.

I’m just wondering if you guys with more structural and physics knowledge think that this would be possible and if it would hold?

(Yellow is the potential tank and red is one side of my stand idea)

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7A75FB7-3A42-4C73-84F6-7F0A9D5CD84F_1559434730561.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	882275  

Name:	6240D621-0558-4DE9-A7A4-0B6C9EA75907_1559434741634.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	882277  

Name:	6D91915C-F96C-4A87-9D6D-BDFDFAD545D5_1559434751966.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	882279  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have never tried it but I would be nervous to do so. I assume this is a custom tank, so no rim? That would be significant as well since the rim provides support all by itself. The corners are the weakest part of a tank. So not supporting them is potentially asking for a disaster.

Looking at your drawing it's not clear if the legs supporting the tank go to the ground or to the wood shelf. If to the wood shelf I would say you would need additional support below the shelf.

My other concern is how do you access the fish for feeding and maintenance? It looks like you would need to remove the glass top.

In the end I would simply not do this build. If you really want something down there alive I would consider a vivarium with or without a terrestrial animal. Much lighter and less scary if it breaks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode