Converting a 55gallon to a smaller rimless tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got the old 55 sitting around that I have been thinking about breaking it down and making a smaller rimless tank.
It's 6mm or 1/4in thick glass, will be putting braces on it also.
I was thinking maybe a 25 or 30 gallon max?
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

I have thought of doing this as well. You should find a professionally made rimless of a size you are interested in and make sure it also had 1/4" glass. If they use thicker glass consider making a smaller aquarium. My understanding is that height is the biggest issue for rimless aquariums so a shallow long aquarium is likely to be more feasible than a taller or even standard sized tank.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I have thought of doing this as well. You should find a professionally made rimless of a size you are interested in and make sure it also had 1/4" glass. If they use thicker glass consider making a smaller aquarium. My understanding is that height is the biggest issue for rimless aquariums so a shallow long aquarium is likely to be more feasible than a taller or even standard sized tank.
Yeah what I seen its possible I'm thinking 24L and 15h With corner braces and cross brace

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So you know how to cut glass and have all tools for cutting, edge planning glass so doesnít have sharp edges and seals properly as well as jigs to square it up and hold glass in place while it cures?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Algae Grower

Golly you make it sound hard, but sand paper and tape works fine for this. There are a ton of videos on making aquariums.

My advice is to make sure you use good silicone. Don't just buy the stuff at the hardware store. Buy either RTV 108 or something of similar holding power.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Golly you make it sound hard, but sand paper and tape works fine for this. There are a ton of videos on making aquariums.

My advice is to make sure you use good silicone. Don't just buy the stuff at the hardware store. Buy either RTV 108 or something of similar holding power.
Thanks for that tip I was just gonna use the regular Silicone.. Would it really make that much of a difference?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

Potentially yes. There are plenty of folks that use GE Silicone 1 to make tanks. However, if you search for them there will be some horror stories of tanks bursting. Aquarium makers don't use GE Silicone 1. At least some of them use RTV 108. Its not much more expensive so why not use the strongest stuff on the market?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Oh, yes Iíve seen them. Whole point of frameless tank is that seams are almost invisible. Not a one of those shown in those DIY video would I want setting in my house with the sloppy, gooped on seams. Iíd use one for a sump maybe, thatís about it. Itís way harder to get pro looking, straight looking seams than you think.

And yes I tried building aquarium semi-professionally many years ago and itís way harder than you think. You need a pro glass cutter with proper edge planing/polishers who knows what heís doing as well as special jigs and seam scraping tools to make it look nice.

But hey if you want something that looks like a 6th grade shop project setting in your living room go for it. OP would be much better off just selling current aquarium and applying that $$$ to properly made aquarium the size he wants.
Mike A. likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Quote:

Oh, yes I’ve seen them. Whole point of frameless tank is that seams are almost invisible. Not a one of those shown in those DIY video would I want setting in my house with the sloppy, gooped on seams. I’d use one for a sump maybe, that’s about it. It’s way harder to get pro looking, straight looking seams than you think.

And yes I tried building aquarium semi-professionally many years ago and it’s way harder than you think. You need a pro glass cutter with proper edge planing/polishers who knows what he’s doing as well as special jigs and seam scraping tools to make it look nice.

But hey if you want something that looks like a 6th grade shop project setting in your living room go for it. OP would be much better off just selling current aquarium and applying that $$$ to properly made aquarium the size he wants.
I didn't realize it would be that bad but I have cut glass before so i figured it shouldn't be that hard. My "OCD" kicks in and get really critical of how I'm doing stuff. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea. I have been reading and seeing some bad things happen about people not using the right thickness glass. I'm still looking into it because it's a good 55 but the rim is all busted up and figured how hard could it be lol. Thank you for the advice!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Oh, yes Iíve seen them. Whole point of frameless tank is that seams are almost invisible. Not a one of those shown in those DIY video would I want setting in my house with the sloppy, gooped on seams. Iíd use one for a sump maybe, thatís about it. Itís way harder to get pro looking, straight looking seams than you think.

And yes I tried building aquarium semi-professionally many years ago and itís way harder than you think. You need a pro glass cutter with proper edge planing/polishers who knows what heís doing as well as special jigs and seam scraping tools to make it look nice.

It depends on what type of tank we are talking about I suppose. There are definitely some higher end rimless tanks that have no braces that have a pencil polish on every edge. This is not replicable in the home DIYer setting.

On the other hand there are also manufacturers that used seamed edges for a rimless tank and use braces on the corner. I admit that is what I thought the OP meant. I suppose when they said they intend to use braces it could just be the center. If used on the corners like a Spec V has then any seamed edge would be invisible. Its also not that hard to get straight lines with silicone. You just need to tape it up in advance and use a silicone profiling tool.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
I wanted rimless.. but I also wanted a multi-tank setup.. so it became cost prohibitive.. quickly.

I had a few new 20L tanks (these are low... 12" tall, 30" long, 12" wide) that had been stored for a few years (those 1$ a gallon sales). I researched taking the rims off and proceeded. I documented the process, good and bad, on SimplyDiscus.com. Here's a link: 20 Gallon Long, Have you popped the top and bottom frames and made them rimless?

learning never stops.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Algae Grower

@Dwyer I read your post about removing the rims. Are all 8 tanks still in use a year later? Have you had any problems with them?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
Quote:
@Dwyer I read your post about removing the rims. Are all 8 tanks still in use a year later? Have you had any problems with them?
No. These tanks with their modification have not proved themselves in long term service. The project has barely begun beyond modifying and testing 7 of the 8 tanks. Each test was two weeks. The design has grown a bit and will really require that I stay put. I've been traveling so much for work that it didn't seem prudent to start this system up. So, I've switched over to the design/build of my homegrown controller to keep me excited about the project.

I would estimate I'll have this up by summer of 2020. Every once in a while I pull one of the tanks out of storage, fill it up, let it sit for a few weeks, and then pump the water out to one of my fruit trees. Gives me confidence in the modifications I performed.

learning never stops.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode