Structural Importance of the Fluval Spec V Pump Wall? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Structural Importance of the Fluval Spec V Pump Wall?

So I've just had to remove the internal wall of my spec v after a fish got stuck back there for the second time. I'm not very happy about this and neither were the fish.

Now that the wall is out (and one of my best kitchen knives is ruined) what are the chances of the tank failing and throwing 5 gallons of water onto my floor? It's really something I could do without, surprisingly.

Any input hugely appreciated!

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower

The spec V has bracing on the bottom and in the corners. I really think you are fine. That wall is there for filtration not to hold the tank together.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's great to hear, thank you! I'm not particularly experienced with equipment/diy so am glad to have a second opnion

Journal

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You couldn’t just remove media and just met him out?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@DaveKS the spec v wall has two sections; the right hand side houses the pump and is about 1.5" square. I do not have a net of that size.

The left hand side is larger, but has a small shelf under the filter media, so even a small net could not get to the bottom.

In addition, any fish stuck behind there can dash under the central wall to either the left or right side with ease.

The first time it got stuck there, I was able to siphon it out, however the fish just swam to the bottom when I attempted this a second time.

I also tried emptying the tank down to around and inch of water and tried tipping the fish out, however, it just wedged itself on top of the filter media shelf repeatedly.

Thanks for the input.

Journal

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
@DaveKS the spec v wall has two sections; the right hand side houses the pump and is about 1.5" square. I do not have a net of that size.

The left hand side is larger, but has a small shelf under the filter media, so even a small net could not get to the bottom.

In addition, any fish stuck behind there can dash under the central wall to either the left or right side with ease.

The first time it got stuck there, I was able to siphon it out, however the fish just swam to the bottom when I attempted this a second time.

I also tried emptying the tank down to around and inch of water and tried tipping the fish out, however, it just wedged itself on top of the filter media shelf repeatedly.

Thanks for the input.
I was going by way my little spec 2.6gal was built. Once you remove all media and pump all your left with is a divider wall you could easily chase the fish over to bigger side and net it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode