Removing rim on 55 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Removing rim on 55 gal tank

I am going to reseal my 55 gal tank and was wondering if anyone has experience removing the rim... from other posts I have read the tanks had a cross bar support on the top/bottom, my tank does not have that, just a black rim around the exterior.

Would love advice on this and re-sealing as well. The tank I have (I got for free from a friend) was resealed terribly (the sealant want smoothed down on the edges) so Im going to have a fun time scraping it all away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have not pulled the rim off of my 55 but it does not have the cross brace and I have had it since it was new.

RAOK Club #55
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyl View Post
I am going to reseal my 55 gal tank and was wondering if anyone has experience removing the rim... from other posts I have read the tanks had a cross bar support on the top/bottom, my tank does not have that, just a black rim around the exterior.

Would love advice on this and re-sealing as well. The tank I have (I got for free from a friend) was resealed terribly (the sealant want smoothed down on the edges) so Im going to have a fun time scraping it all away
first make sure the brace wasn't cut away..
second measure the glass thickness. IF designed as a braceless 55gal the glass will be thick and tank heavier than expected..

As to removing rim.. it's prob just silicon-ed on so razor and care..or something....
Plenty of how to's on it..
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...-aquarium.html
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...iv-repair.html

Quote:
If yours has a frame, you will have to slice it off first. I would do this with a very thin, flexible, putty knife. I use a flexible putty knife like this to separate windows from the frames. If you use a tin snips to round the end of the knife, it will slide through much easier because the corners won't catch. Pic shows how the tool starts out and how it looks after cutting the corners.
You will have to run the putty knife several times all around the trim. Once it is removed, the rest of the job will go just like mine.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you have a heat gun, it can make the process go quicker by softening up the plastic and silicone. Just keep it moving so nothing burns
sittinglynx likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I derimmed several 20 gallon longs a couple summers ago, and I had good success with just using an Olfa utility knife.

I scored the trim about 1/3 from the top and just snapped that part off. With most of the plastic removed, you can bend the blade to cut right up and through the top. After that, you can see the top of the glass which makes it easy to careful cut the silicone away from the trim, and I was then able to pretty much peel the remainder of the trim off.

If you have time, cut away as much silicone as you can and then let it sit for a day or two. The exposed layer of film left will be much easier to remove as it dries out (almost rubs off - use gloves...). I did that a couple of times, then sanded the edges down with various grits if sandpaper. Not perfect, but it works
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I have the rim off and most of the silicone scraped away. I am going to re-seal next week with GE 100% all purpose silicone and add a glass brace to the middle.
Really nervous about everything holding together but we shall see!

Tags
diy, reseal, rim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode