Making a black background? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making a black background?

What are some ways you can make a black background? I tried looking for black vinyl but can't find any stores that sell it in Chicago. I don't want to order it. What type of paint could be used? Or other ways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

Felt taped to the back or black plastic also works pretty good.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

I've taped a black trash bag the to back of the tank. The thicker ones tend to wrinkle less and look better.

Landau

29G - ReefKeeper Lite Controller - Pressurized CO2 - Hydor Inline heater - Fluval 205 - Fluval Pimp #18

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Pretty much any black paint(spray or roll on) works.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau View Post
I've taped a black trash bag the to back of the tank. The thicker ones tend to wrinkle less and look better.
You can brush or roll a little bit of oil on the tank wall before you apply the bag to get wrinkles out if you want.

I've also heard window tint (like the kind for limos) works well.

Personally I take the easy road- just use the cheap plastic tape-on ones from the pet store.

PS- I merged your threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I took a sponge and put little dabs and smears of red, yellow, and green acrylic paint on the rear glass. Then wiped it around a bit to make it irregular, and when it dried I put a thick coat of black acrylic paint. The colors are subtle but they bring a bit of texture to the back of the tank - looks great!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't expect to find sign vinyl in "stores". Look for sign shops. They'll gladly sell you some. Sign shops are everywhere.

Signs by Tomorrow is one chain.

Jim

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I used foam board that you can get at any craft store and spray painted it black. I had enough to do 2 so I kept one white and I can switch back and forth.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the foam board sounds like a good idea. it is pretty cheap though. i like just to use some sort of spray kinda thing. but if you don't want it to be permanent, than just stick to the foam board, felt, or garbage bag.

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
For small tanks, I always use black construction paper... looks suprisingly good.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I just used some general Krylon Satin Black - do like 5 thin coats about an hour apart then let it dry over night. Make sure you tape it well and then you are good to go.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
I just used some general Krylon Satin Black - do like 5 thin coats about an hour apart then let it dry over night. Make sure you tape it well and then you are good to go.
I ended up using this but... it's oil based and taking forever. I couldn't find any in a can so I had to get spraypaint. I can't spray my tank though it's in my living room already setup. So I sprayed it into something and painted it...

I'm guna just get some regular acrylic paint and paint over it, because it's spray paint I don't think it's guna work well if I keep using it. I'll just use it as a base coat.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

search for privacy window film at home depot...

It is a black film that applies with a soapy water solution. When you change your mind or want to do something new you just peel it off. No mess no fuss. I use the frosted one on the back of my tanks. Gives it a nice defused look. With a little LED accent light behind it :-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode