Need help with DIY mini pond! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with DIY mini pond!

Hi all,

Thinking of setting up a mini pond in a 20-25ish gallon bucket/pot on my balcony. I’ve done some research on how to set one up but its my first time and I still have questions!

I want to have some plants, maybe a few fish and a little waterfall that spills water into the bucket from the backside.

1. Does the pond need a filter? I’ve heard both yes and no, so I’m a little confused about that. I’m hoping to avoid building a diy biological filter because I’ve watched some tutorials on YouTube on how to do it and they seem quite complicated and require a lot of parts I don’t have. I do have extra ceramic ring filtration media from my fish tank though.. and a sponge filter and some air stones..would any of these things suffice?

2. What kinds of plants would do best in a pond setting? Shooting for small-medium sized plants since my bucket is smaller. Any ideas?

3. Would only having a fountain pump be enough for a waterfall effect?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've never run a pond that small. All of mine have been 100s-1,000+ gallons. But at 25 gallons it's basically a top-view aquarium. Not a lot of difference in what's required.

Too many variables involved to give you much in the way of specific answers. As far as a filter goes I'd say generally yes you'd probably want one of some sort. Could be relatively simple. With few of the right fish you could get away without. Again lots of variables re stocking, plants, water changes, how clean/clear you want it and on and on... If you're going to be running a pump/waterfall, then might as well run it through something along the way as a filter of sorts. A small fountain pump would work fine. They're cheap. Not sure how you're thinking of building your waterfall in a bucket/pot but might be able to hide the filter within it and let the outflow feed your waterfall. e.g., similar to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Danner-02477-...ateway&sr=8-12

That's likely too big for 25 gallons but just to give you the idea for something similar. Add some media, fliter pads, let it dump to your waterfall. Or maybe a HOB filter if it fits on the side and let that feed your waterfall.

Outside temp will affect it a lot. Need to manage sun, evaporation, rain, critters, etc...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
You might want to check out the General Planted Tank Forum on here. The second sub-section is on ponds and there were a lot of posts about using different types of bins, etc. as outdoor small ponds.

RAOK Club #55

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode